Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Mar 1998 18:27:26 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@WWW.MWC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Air Vents on Rear Windows
Comments: To: ChuckKuecker <ckuecker@MCS.NET>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com
              "ChuckKuecker" at Mar 31, 98 5:21 pm

Early Vanagons used the same system as Buses -- there is a vent on the inside of each front door at the lower rear corner. These vents can be manually opened or closed by sliding a blue knob fore or aft. These vents vent interior pressure to the insides of the doors and from there presumably to the outside.

Later Vanagon eliminated these door vents and went with the always-open vents behind the rear side windows. They serve the same purpose, hence the puff of air from the vents as mentioned above.

VW had been doing this for a while -- many will notice that Volkswagen Beetles (later ones) have little crescent-shaped black vents on each side behind the rear side windows. These are connected to outlets inside the car on each side of the rear window. The purpose, of course, is to relieve interior pressure so you don't have to slam the doors.

Interesting to note that heat and fresh air will flow better into the early vans when the door vents are open (assuming your van is still airtight) than when they are closed (and all windows are closed). -- Sean Bartnik Fredericksburg, Virginia 1981 Volkswagen Vanagon L Westfalia 1974 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia convertible http://www.type2.com/bartnik/myvan.htm