Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:31:01 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Natural Gas Conversion Kit
Comments: To: vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG, vanagon@vanagon.com

I would appreciate if you would do a little writeup on the natural gas system before you sell it. I think it would be a valuable part of our vanagon archives or on a WWW page.

Since you have a doka I assume you're in Canada. Here in the US various government agencies talk a lot about natural gas and lpg as alternatives to gas/diesel, but do little in practice. I'd be interested in a natural gas conversion, except that the closest filling station would be 7-8h away (in Wash DC). I understand you can get some kind of home filling kit, but that it is both expensive and very slow.

I'd be curious to know:

Where were the tanks? (In the under bed storage lockers on the doka?) Would they fit in any natural location on a "transporter" vanagon?

What are the tank dimemsions and weight?

How does the fuel system work? Is the nat-gas and petrol systems separate, or does the nat-gas stuff use the same ECU or tie in to the other components?

If you have any pic's of the setup I'd love to see them on a WWW page. If you need space I'd be happy to host them.

FYI: For diesel nuts like me there is a technology called "fumigation", in which a CI diesel engine is run partially on a gasenous fuel and partially on diesel. This can be done to a standard diesel engine with minimal modifications if fumigation rates are below 10-15 percent on an energy equivalency basis. The purpose is to make the combustion process more complete and clean up the exhaust. Power also increases somewhat. The power increase is mostly from the added extra fuel, but also from higher efficiency.

At higher rates 70-95% the diesel injection is basically only used to start combustion. These rates require heavily modified engines.

Happy VW-ing, martin -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------