Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:42:01 +0900
From:         brent taylor <taylor_b@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW Caravelle C, Turbo Diesel... info on turbo...
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

P. Fjeldstad (pfjeldst@ONLINE.NO) writes

> I have got a \26488 VW Caravelle Turbo diesel (European). > Last fall I had a timing belt failure, and had to change > engine ("everything" was broken..). : > I have a feeling that the turbo isn`t working. > The turbo was moved over from my old engine by > the workshop that switched the motors for me.

Two important maintenance items that should not be overlooked are timing belt replacement every 60k miles and regular oil changes. Since the turbo is cooled and lubricated by engine oil, the oil and oil filter should be changed every 3k miles or so. It is probably also true that by the time your engine needs to be rebuilt, that you may also need the turbo rebuilt to replace bearings, and seals.

>>jag@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU adds >>If they swapped in a non turbo complete engine, and just put on the >>turbo you're somewhat screwed. You don't get any extra power, because >>the Nat. Aspirated injection pump doesn't increase fuel metering >>with turbo boost.

I run the combination of the non-turbo engine (code CS) and the turbo manifolds and I do get some extra power and less smoke. Hope you still have the TD inj. pump and engine, it is a better combination.

> There is no Haynes book on this car and that is...

One manual that you might try is the Bentley manual for the Passat or US version Quantum. I happen to have the Bentley manual for the Jetta that includes turbo diesel, and it includes diagrams and troubleshooting information for the turbo.

Since you mention that you do not hear the turbo, you should check to make sure that the intake to pressure side of the turbo hose is connected. Also check that the vacuum hose that connects from the intake manifold to the injection pump is connected.

If you can get a pressure gauge about 0-14 lbs/sq-in range, run a 1/8" vacuum hose to the front. Get a 'T' connection and put it in the vac line that runs from the turbo to the injection pump. Then drive the car up a hill in 2nd gear, you should see 10-12 psi when under load.

If the turbo bearings fail, the turbo would seize and no longer develop boost. Other possible causes are a stuck open wastegate (attached to the exhaust side of turbo) or stuck open blowoff valve (attached to the intake manifold).

Good luck

Brent 83' Diesel Westy w/ 85' quantum TD turbo and manifolds (turbo rebuilt once)