Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Mar 1998 13:31:44 -0800
From:         Gail Fitzpatrick <redwood@SPEEDLINK.COM>
Subject:      Re: List Hat
Comments: To: LSheeley <LSheeley@AOL.COM>
Comments: cc: list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

At 10:31 AM 3/4/98 EST, you wrote: >I suggested last week we have a discussion about how much the licensing cost >should be on a Vanagon List Hat. > >Rather than wait for that discussion, one brave list member from San Franciso >sent his order yesterday for hat. His check was for $13--$7.50 for the hat, $3 >for postage and a $2.50 license/donation to the list. His hat was mailed this >morning--next day service--and he should receive it in 3 or 4 days.

Hi Lynn,

I had rather hoped for a discussion, as many of us made contributions [as our budgets and inclinations permitted] several months ago when the need was made known for the new server, etc. Let me stress that i find this list extremely valuable, and appreciate the efforts of all involved. And I can imagine that a popular item like a hat, especially so reasonably priced, must seem like a good vehicle for fund-raising.

Though I'm a bit behind in reading my mail, I haven't seen any headings discussing financial issues, and I'd like to know more. I, for one, have found the recent list problems quite confusing. What I understand is that the type 2 list was extremely accommodating in keeping us going, and our listadmins were, for the most part, not communicating. This is nothing personal, but I found it extremely frustrating not to be able to learn the status of the list for weeks at a time. I contacted the website, repeatedly, but info was scarce---occasional updates, but the one for 12/21(?), which was invalid within 3 days, stayed up for weeks. I would not have thought a weekly update, if only to the effect of: "no news yet, but still trying [*date*]" would have been helpful. I finally emailed Ken Hooper and even his response, there and later on the list, conveyed frustration in that he, too, was being left in the dark. I got the impression that it would be best to limit list traffic for the time being to *necessary* stuff. I continued reading the list, and am aware that others did not feel so inhibited.

I've only been on this list for about 15 mos., and confess that I have not the slightest idea what is involved in the duties of list administration. I would imagine the chores would be increased when there are major hardware and/or software problems. And that those who volunteer to be responsible should be entitled to some kind of reward, or at least full remuneration for expenses. But Gerry [the original] never solicited for funds, that I know of.

As I said, I value the vanagon list very highly, and appreciate the efforts of all who contribute their expertise, energies and inspiration to keep it going. I am fully willing to contribute my share to upkeep, to the extent that I can. But I'd like to understand more about the need and purpose for this donation. I saw on the list only a brief acknowledgment of Ken Hooper's contribution, and wondered if more might be appropriate.

Thanks,

gail __________________________ Gail Fitzpatrick '87 GL Westi, 124k [Frieda] Sacramento, CA <redwood@speedlink.com>