Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Mar 1998 14:07:31 -0800
From:         Ron Lussier <coyote@LIKEMINDS.COM>
Subject:      Re: List Hat
Comments: To: Gail Fitzpatrick <redwood@SPEEDLINK.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 01:31 PM 3/4/98 -0800, Gail Fitzpatrick wrote: >I can imagine that a popular item like a hat, especially so reasonably >priced, must seem like a good vehicle for fund-raising.

I agree.

>Though I'm a bit behind in reading my mail, I haven't seen any headings >discussing financial issues, and I'd like to know more. I, for one, have >found the recent list problems quite confusing. What I understand is that >the type 2 list was extremely accommodating in keeping us going, and our >listadmins were, for the most part, not communicating. This is nothing >personal, but I found it extremely frustrating not to be able to learn the >status of the list for weeks at a time.

Unfortunately, both Chris and I have been very busy, and there was no news to be reported. HP sent the incorrect part *twice* to the local repair shop here in S.F. I did send a bi-weekly update to the list, but perhaps you missed it. It was fairly short, and said "The server is still in the shop, and we're awaiting a new motherboard."

>I've only been on this list for about 15 mos., and confess that I have not >the slightest idea what is involved in the duties of list administration. >I would imagine the chores would be increased when there are major >hardware and/or software problems. And that those who volunteer to >be responsible should be entitled to some kind of reward, or at least >full remuneration for expenses. But Gerry [the original] never solicited >for funds, that I know of.

The original list was run on University equipment and at the University's largess. Equipment failures were handled by the school. Eventually this largess ran out, and the administrator said that he would shut down the list unless someone else took it over.

Chris and I offered to do so. We raised the funds necessary to purchase equipment and software, and our respective companies agreed to provide bandwidth and other services.

I want to stress that neither Chris nor I have received any compensation for our efforts, monetary or otherwise. List administration takes me up to an hour every day.

A reserve of funds are necessary for the list, to cover repair costs, software upgrades, etc. Without this reserve, a major failure will bring the list down permanently. Our current reserves are detailed at http://www.vanagon.com/links/list_donations.html

We currently have just over $200 in reserve... a fairly small amount.

Coyote

-- /\_/\ ____ Ron 'Coyote' Lussier ( ) \ _/__ http://www.vanagon.com/ (415) 284-6972 \ / \X / Travel with us to the coyote@vanagon.com \_/ \/ end of the world!