Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Mar 1998 22:23:18 -0500
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      FS: 9" South Bend Lathe, Cumberland MD
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

Well, not entirely off topic, a friend (best damn "chinist" I know) just picked up another 9" with a 48 inch bed so he's selling his old one. This is a nice machine for someone looking, the Chinese crap out there does not compare, but it is old.

it is a 9" swing over bed, has the hardened ways I believe, 3 or 3.5 foot bed, quick change gear box (but not a power feed carraige so you must lock in the half nuts for a "power feed"), I think a 3 jaw chuck, 1/2 drill chuck for the tailstock (MT2 or 3?), face plate, steady rest, factory legs with factory chip pan (very nice), entire thing was sandblasted and painted machinery grey, 1/4 horse GE motor (dissasembled, cleaned, gone through a couple years ago) a nice machine, like I said was his primary home shop machine but he got the longer bed. This is 30's-50's vintage I'd guess. Of course to cut metric you would need to get a metric gearset (still available, but pricey) He is asking $900, if you are interested (don't tell him I said so, don't forward this message to him) I bet it could go down around $700, I've seen far crappier stuff asking far more at Carlisle, auctions, etc. Fair deal for the right person.

He should be available at Mark_Otto@ATK.com or (304)726-5329

or me at JohnD_Anderson@ATK.com and I'll forward the message.