Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Mar 1998 21:41:40 -0600
From:         Darrell Boehler <dboehler@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      coolant hoses 2wd 86 westy long
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

-------------------------- >Hi fellow list members, > I have seen a few posts lately about coolant hoses for our beloved >vanagons. I have a partial list of hoses that I have used, in some cases >I'm sure there are better solutions, so feel free to comment, add, and >modify my list. I have used the hose chart "coolant hoses -wasserboxer >86-91 2wd" from Jim Thomsons site at Old Volks Home. > We have a napa flaps here so these hoses are their part numbers where >possible. Some of the solutions I use won't be expectable to some of you so >I will list the hoses that require just a trim to the correct length first >then I will discuss my solution to other more complex hoses. > Again using the letters and part numbers from Jims Chart, I will state >the size and shape of the hose in inches and describe them as best I can >remember. I have an 86 westy, 2wd, 4 speed, and A/C. > >H: vw 252-121-130b napa 7990 right head front to valve. 1" id 6" long >has 2 60 degree bends. > >J: vw 025-121-058e napa 10050 thermostat housing to oil cooler pipe >.472" id one end, other end .635" , 3" long. > >R: vw 025-121-058h napa 9807 expansion tank to pipe tee. ,620" id both >ends. 90 degree bend each leg 4.5" long. > >? napa 777 thermostat housing >to water pump pipe. 1.5" both ends 90 degree bend 1 leg 6" other 4" > this hose doesn't seem to be listed on the chart and I couldn't read >the number on the hose either.Good picture of it in bentley on 19.11. It is >the big on there with the 90 degree turn. > >O. vw N901287.03 napa 1" hose water pump feed to right side of >crankcase. 1" id 3" long. I got a napa 1" hose in 3 foot length heavy >duty hose. > >D. vw N902873.03 napa 1.5" hose valve to radiator feed. Again this >was part of 3ft length hose. > >F. vw 251-121-058a napa 1" hose Thermostat housing to valve. 1" id >about 2 ft long > >G. vw 443-121-107A this is a 7mm hose from a vw flaps, napa here doesn't >carry 7mm hose. > >K. vw 025-121-058D oil cooler to oil cooler pipe from from thermostat >housing. No direct solution here. However 5/8" heater hose about 2 feet >long can be ran directly from the oil cooler to the thermostat housing >eliminating the need for hoses J and K. I like the one hose solution better >than the normal path as there is more clearance from the oil cooler hose and >the header pipe. My hose K got brittle and blew coolant all over my clean >engine. > >L. vw 025-121-058G Oil cooler to oil cooler pipe from water pump. No napa >hose replacement and no good way to eleminate this hose that I have found. >Maybe someone else can find a sub. > >M. vw 025-121-058J 3/8" id napa hose A straight hose will function fine >here 3/8 id 4" long > >P. vw 443-121-107A 7mm vw flaps. right head to pipe > >Q. vw 025-121-108D no napa solution. pipe at water pump to expansion tank >. 1" id on both ends. this hose is designed to take a lot of flexing between >the engine and the expansion tank. I need help on this one, somewhere there >must be another application that uses a similar hose. > >S. vw 025-121-058B No napa solution. thermostat housing to pipe tee. 1/2" >id one end 7mm other end, about 14 inches long. Need help on this one also. > > > Heater hoses are all 5/8 inch hose and no real big problems here. I >replaced the Tees for the rear heater with 5/8" diameter Tees on all three >points because the originals had 2 5/8 and one 1/2 inch point. 30 feet of >5/8 hose is needed to replace all heater hoses.Straight hoses will even make >the turns for the front heater under the dash without too much problem. >However if your inside front heater hoses are good I would consider keeping >them as they require a bit of time to replace. I was considering connecting >my heaters in series instead of parallel, but backed off because I thought >it might degrade the heat. Napa has regular grade or premium grade heater >hose and so do many other flaps. > > >For the rest of the hoses I used copper pipe, 90 degree elbows and various >copper pipe adapters. This requires soldering some pretty heavy pipe but >could be done with a plain propane torch. I bought napa heavy duty hoses >that are used mostly on diesel trucks and industrial applications. This was >a mistake I would go with regular grade hoses if I did this again. The >heavy duty hoses has double layers of nylon reinforcement and outside >wrapped with nylon. It is a real pain to work with and after a couple of >days working with them I discovered why most Illinois diesel mechanics >appear to be fresh off the Minnesota and Wisconsin farms. >I used 6 feet of 1.5 in id hose > 3 feet of 1.25 in id hose > 3 feet of 1 in id hose. most 1 in stuff was used on hose above at >item F, and O. > >A. vw 251-121-082 napa 1.5 and 1.125 inch hose. upper Rad feed hose. >radiator connection is 1.33" and long hoses are 1.5 inch, straight 28" long. >I used some 1.25 in hose at the radiator end and made an adapter using 1.25 >copper pipe, adapter to 1.5 in copper some 1.5 in copper pipe then 1.5 in >hose to the long feeder hose. > > >B. vw 251-121-083H napa 1.5 and 1.125 hoses. lower radiator return hose. >same id on hose as A above however a 90 degree elbow is required on this >one. Use a short as possible 3" or less 1.125 hose, a very short 1.125" >pipe, 90 degree elbow, 1.125" pipe , adapter to 1.5", some 1.5" pipe then >1.5" hose. use mostly 1.5" hose here as you need to get up and around the >spare tire in a hurry. Keep your copper lengths short. > >E. vw 025-121-062E napa 1.5" hose and some 1.5" copper pipe. return to >thermostat housing. 1.5" both ends however this one goes up and over the >transaxil. use a short 1.5" id hose about a 2.5 inches of copper 90 degree >up, about 10 inches (check this measurement) 1.5 "id copper pipe up > line these up so your copper pipe rests nicely in the hose holder above the >transaxil) , now 90 degree copper elbow and you are heading over the >transaxil, install enough 1.5" copper pipe so you line up with the >thermostat housing. (hint it is best to be a little too long with the pipe >going over the transaxil or your hose might cause shifting problems). Now >turn 90 degrees with copper elbow toward the thermostat housing install a >short 1.5 in id pipe in the elbow. use a 1.5"id hose to connect to the >thermostat housing. That sounds pretty involved, try this for >directions from the long return hose go back a few inches up about 10 inches >over the transaxil about 20 inches and turn back toward the thermostat. >What you end up with is a copper pipe with 3 90 degree elbows attached. > > >N. vw 025-121-058M napa 1" hose, home made adapter and some 7mm hose. >Right head to pipe. one end is 1" other is 7mm. start with a short 1" >hose, use a very short 1" id copper pipe, 90 degree copper elbow, I then >used an adapter from my local hardware store from 1" down to 1/4" id >copper pipe that I used and then just stuffed the 7mm hose over that. The >origional hose on my 86 had sprung a leak and for a while I thought I had a >head leak. > >If You have any questions or suggestions please feel free to correct this or >add to it or drop me a note if you want to discuss it. > >Darrell Boehler >Makanda Illinois > > > > > > > > > > > > >