Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:16:19 +0200
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Audi Parts in a Vanagon (Frankensteinagon?)
Comments: To: pdooley@GTE.NET
Comments: cc: Vanagon@vanagon.com

>Lemme tell ya, the 5cly audi motor and trans is completely different then >the four cly stuff. The bellhousings are different, and the 5 cyl trans >uses huge inner cv's. Makes my vanagon cv's look pewny. The fox and 4 cyl >audi, on the other hand, have the same size axle flange as the vanagon. The >4 and 5 cyl trans cases are physically different, if I didn't make that >clear.(be they 4 or 5 spds). I am sorry, but I did not open a trans up to >check the diff.

What I can tell you is, that the differential of the Audi 5k cannot be swap to the other side as there is a dent on driver's side of the rear surface of the bellhousing. Into this dent the differential gear fits in.

Another case is, that the Audi gearbox seems to be shorter than the Vanagon. And the rear mounting is like that found at Porsche or Vanagon Syncro.

I like to pull my Audi gearbox if I will get the tools to remove the drive shafts. And if I get my scanner up, I can send a drawing of the Audi box.

Helmut '80 Vanagaudi