Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Mar 1998 09:18:33 +0200
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Audi Parts in a Vanagon (Frankensteinagon?)
Comments: To: sneakers@OZ.NET
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

>I have spent some time looking over Helmut's web site where he details and >has pictures of his conversion (thanks Helmut!), and some questions stick >out. If I actually go and do this conversion, I would use a turbo motor (my >wife drives one, I love that motor). My main questions are the selection of >tranny and diff. I would have reservations in using either standard or >automatic vw tranny in this application, but linkages etc for Audi >transmissions can be worked out. My biggest question is the bellhousing and >diff. We'd need the correct bolt patterns for engine and tranny, so it >seems to me the one from Winkler's kit or a South African unit are >necessary to get the output shafts to mate up. Or are these things all "one >size fits all"? I was considering a note to Winkler, but perhaps someone >wiser here on the list can answer these questions. >Also, wouldn't it be possible just to lower the motor that extra inch or >two to keep from cutting the engine lid? Having a westy, keeping that flat >surface would be nice... >steve >kent, wa. >'85 westy (wanting more oomph) Thanks for this reaction, this makes me to continue on the web site.

Bellhousing: The SA housing is needed to mount the 5 Cyl. to the Vanagon four or five speed box. This housing is made to fit both together.

It is possible to mount an auto, too, but I do not know this application.

To fit the Vanagon pilot bearing to the crankshaft of the 5 Cyl., you have to use a spacer ring. 5 Cyl. flywheel and 228 mm Vanagon Clutch will fit.

The oil pan of the 5 Cyl. is very low in the Vanagon, I may measure it. But it is significant lower than the boxer engines. First suggestion are 15 cm on an unloaded vehicle.

Change your hinges of the rear seat, this will rise the surface of the bed by 3 to 4 inches. That gives you space for the engine and some additional storage room below the rear part of the bed.

If you go to cut the deck lid, do it along the red line I added on one of my pictures. This saves some space.

Helmut '80 Camper