Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Mar 1998 15:36:20 -0600
From:         Mark Mages <mmages@GIE.COM>
Subject:      Cabinetry and tint - the bane of my existence?
Comments: To: Vanagon Listserv <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Hello everybody! I have a problem. I want to tint my windows in my van (Texas is no fun in the summer) but am having a problem with all that pesky cabinetry in my '87 Westy. I need to know how to pull the rear closet out. I tried it over the last weekend, and succeded in removing all the bolts, but it is still wedged in there pretty good. I cant pull it out the back (bad angles) and I cant pull it out the front without tearing half the cabinetry out. I can't tilt it out toward the inside because... well, there just isn't enough room. I can't take it apart, because some genius decided it would be better to put 500 staples in it than 10-15 bolts/screws. And these problems don't even begin to brush on the AC hoses running through the cabinets.

I am trying to decide if it might be easier to just pop out the window and have it tinted while it was out, but this brings up the problem of getting it out and back in with the cabinet in the way, not to mention possible damage to the seal (which really needs to be replaced anyways, but.........)

So, I guess what I am asking is if anyone has had a Westy tinted, how did you get it done, what did it involve, etc....

Thanks in advance for all your help, and especially thanks to all the people who helped me figure out that rear windshield wiper that I didn't get back to individually.

Mark 87 Westy GL 91 GTi (looking 4 a good one)