Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Mar 1998 19:35:00 -0500
From:         Patrick Dooley <pdooley@GTE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Another CV question
Comments: To: Frayed1003 <Frayed1003@AOL.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Inner cv's have the problem of mixing gear lube with cv grease. The problem happens when gear lube gets past the drive axle flange seal. Take the axles out if installed, throughly clean the axle flange(on tranny) look for the rubber plug. These things can be difficult to remove sometimes. Just make sure its there. It is a steel cap that has been rubberized. Rubber feel, steel strength. When the plug and inner area of the flange is clean, smear some ultra copper RTV(silicone) on the cap where meets the axle flange. I just blob the whole cap with RTV. This works great. No more gear lube in the cv's, I gaurantee.

good luck, PSD.

-----Original Message----- From: Frayed1003 <Frayed1003@AOL.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, March 05, 1998 6:13 PM Subject: Another CV question