Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:42:18 -0800
From:         Ron Lussier <coyote@LIKEMINDS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Should Know But Don't
Comments: To: Alan Pickersgill <pick@ISTAR.CA>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 06:14 AM 3/6/98 -0500, Alan Pickersgill wrote: >I have been on the list for some months, and lurked for some time before >that. I probably should know what keeps it going financially. I have been >seeing messages on the subject recently but quite frankly don't >understand some of the vocabulary such as "hats" etc. I gather, from >these messages, that it works through some combination of volunteer effort >and contributions from members.

The list administrators (Chris and myself) are volunteers. We keep the list running and on track.

In order to get the list running after Gerry could no longer do so, we had a fund drive. Thanks to the generous contributions of list members, we raised over $2,000.

The list runs on a dual-Pentium 90 HP system that was donated to the group, using ListServ and STMP software that we purchased from list donations. (For a complete list of donations and expenditures, check out http://www.vanagon.com/links/list_donations.html)

Our current reserves are just over $200. I estimate that future expenditures could include the purchase of ListServ upgrades and hardware repair.

>Could someone explain in a simple way what the principle is, in very plain >language. I for one, find the list very useful and generally on topic >(few outbreaks of political ranting about cats, republicans, freedom of >speech aside) and would like to contribute but don't know how, who to >contribute to, etc. > >I suspect that there are others on the list who would like to understand >what our fair share is and how to pay it.

We've never set a 'fair share' other than asking people to contribute what they could afford. And contributions have varied from $150 to $3, every dollar of which aided in getting the list up and running.

If you wish to donate, send your check written to 'Chris Smith' to:

Ron Lussier 229 8th Street, Unit 4 San Francisco, CA 94103-3910

I'll record the amounts into the log and then forward the checks to Chris Smith, who is now acting as banker.

Coyote -- /\_/\ ____ Ron 'Coyote' Lussier ( ) \ _/__ LikeMinds (415) 284-6972 \ / \X / Every Individual a Market \_/ \/ http://www.likeminds.com/