Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Mar 1998 21:03:51 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <jim@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: '89 Jetta auto into '90 VANAGON Y/N?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 10:54 PM 3/1/98 -0500, Patrick Dooley wrote: >I have heard that the late bus uses the same auto trans as the rabbit, so >maybe this is true too. If not, I have an auto trans from an 85 van... > >-----Original Message----- >From: John Anderson <vwbus@MINDSPRING.COM> >To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> >Date: Sunday, March 01, 1998 10:37 PM >Subject: '89 Jetta auto into '90 VANAGON Y/N? > > >>Subject line pretty much sums it up, '90 tranny has started making evil >>gravelly sounds in 1, 2 fine in D, R. Available to me free is a '89 Jetta >>autobox, replaced for a bad final drive (ring gear chipped). Boy do all >>them watercooled (including Vanagon) auto's (tranny section) look the same >>once you exchange and put on the correct final. Are they? Will it work? >>Will it shift at odd times? Should the valve body be swapped as well. If >I >>were VW I would have used all the same boxes and just changed the brackets, >>pans, and the final ratio and bellhousing to the engine in question, this >>is how it looks to me, anybody know different? >> >>John >>vwbus@mindspring.com -------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to say, but the Rabbit/Golf/Jetta AT units are very much different than what the Vanagon uses, so there's no interchangeability there.

However, a call to a person locally that is very knowledgeable says the Audi 5000 uses essentially the same unit as the Vanagon BUT he went on further to say that he replaces more of these in the Audis because they can't take the torque the 5 cyl engine applies to the unit. Says they really blow 'em apart after about 40K. He goes on further to say that he rarely has Auto Vanagons coming into the shop for a transmission replacement (or calls from other tranny shops in the area for overhaul parts, etc). Since we don't have a dealer here in Redding (3 have gone belly-up), he has the VOA contract for performing Authorized service on VW, Audi, Porsche and BMW. Majority of his work is on Vanagon, Eurovan and Porsche and has been doing this for over decade since the last dealer went belly-up. Does a lot of business in Westies, Rialtas and Eurobagos during the spring and summer when it's RV heaven here in Redding.

The NH auto tranny is used on the 83.5-85 Wasser. The NK auto tranny is used on the 86-91 Wasser. Both are virtually identical and interchangeable in this respect (They use the same Ring [45 tooth] and Pinion [11 tooth] in the Final Drive). In fact the original owner of my 84 Westy had a brand new NK auto tranny installed at the dealership at 62K a few years back (I now have 101K on the van). It worked fine with the original 1.9 engine before the PO threw a rod and then I bought it and installed a 2.1 last May. So Pat Dooley's trans should work in John's application.

My $0.02 worth

Jim Thompson 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle * 90 Fox Wagon Check out our latest cool stuff at: http://www.oldvolkshome.com ------------------------------------------- Our Website is totally redesigned for ease of your use. Now in "Frames" or "No Frames" format: Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/frames.html No Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/homenf.html ------------------------------------------- Now use your VISA, MasterCard or AMEX at: Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 (530) 221-5342 (Voice or Fax) jim@oldvolkshome.com jim96003@c-zone.net