Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Mar 1998 21:29:28 -0500
From:         Alan Pickersgill <pick@ISTAR.CA>
Subject:      Long Wheelbase Diesel T4 Transporter (Eurovan)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I'm thinking about buying a Diesel T4 Transporter (Eurovan) with the long wheelbase.

My idea is to find a used one 2-3 years old with moderate mileage and install windows and a pop top. (these are apparenly available from a number of suppliers) and use it most of the time as a van with seats, but for camping trips remove some of the seats and install modular furniture ( such as the kind I have in my Vanagon Transporter).

I am looking for advice from those familiar with these long wheelbase versions (same size as the Winnebago is built on).

1.<bold>HARDWARE FOR SEATS/BELTS </bold>As sold in Canada there is no hardware on the floor, for attaching the seats, also I'm wondering about seat belt atttachments. There are nuts welded into the posts just behind the sliding door (could these be the upper attachment?) How would a person make the lower attachmets for belts and for seats. I'm thinking that if I can't get Eurovan seats, it looks like Vanagon or other seats can be adapted.

2.<bold>AUX HEATER </bold>Anyone had any experience with the auxiliary heater, runs on diesel fuel to heat ther rear compartment, and has a timing device (liquid cryistal clock) on the dash so it can cycle on and off. These things are an option at $2,000 and I'd like to know about their reputation for reliability, heat output, suitability as a heater when stopped, (I'm assuming they are made to run when driving or when stopped)? Or would I be just as well to forget about it and get a propane heater after market for when I'm camping and adapt a rear heater core and blower heat the back when driving?

3,<bold>RPM </bold>I'v driven the diesel and like it very much. The slowness of acceleration feels no worse than my Vanagon and I'm told the torque is really great and will feel about the same empty or fully laden. My concern is that it revs higher than I'd like at realistic highway speed. 120kph is about 3,800 rpm. I really don' t like the idea of doing 38,00 -4,000 rpm all day. And really I'ld like to be able to go 130 or 140.

I could perhaps restrain myself to 120kph but would like to reduce the revs. Does anyone know if it will take substantially larger diameter wheels/tires which should have the effect of dropping the revs at a given sped. I'm really not sure if this is a realistic approach. Would putting 15 or even 16" wheels be possible giver wheel well clearances, and would it have significant or insignificant effect. If I'm not too concerned about even further loss of acceleration (which would be one effect?) what kind of drop in revs can I expect? Also will the engine still have enough power to keep it moving? Some of you that have the necessary engineering skills or practical experience I'd really like to hear from you.

4.<bold>BEST SOURCE OF WINDOWS AND POPTOP </bold>I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has experience with putting windows in these vans. They come with an outline of the window space (conforms to where the windows go in the window versions) so windows that aren't the right size would be difficult and will look funny. Any advice would be appreciated.

5. <bold>REPUTATION/FUEL ECONOMY </bold>I'd be interested in any knowledge about the diesel version of these vans. All I've been able to pick up from talking to people who own them or have experience driving them is that they have no serious problems and they all love the fuel economy (genuine 30 - 40 miles to the Imperial gallon depending on speed and style, is what I'm consistenly told) But I'd like to gather as much info as possible.

Alan Pickersgill

Ottawa, Ontario

Canada

'85 Transporter (modified as camper) 183,000km