Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Mar 1998 05:58:33 -0800
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust systems
Comments: To: Patrick Dooley <pdooley@gte.net>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Pat,

FLAPS= Friendly Local Auto Parts Store. The first time I knew of this expression was on this very list. We don't use it where I live either- however, it takes less keystrokes to type.

If you hadn't seen last message, it said to please ignore my previous posting on this thread. I mistakenly thought it was about Vanagons, instead of the EV. On a larger mailing list, when you screw up, the whole world knows! My bad. :(

Best regards, Sam

---Patrick Dooley <pdooley@gte.net> wrote: > > kinda off the subject, but what the hell does "FLAPS" mean? Being in > Florida, I haven't heard that expression used. We have discount auto parts > here.>"DAPS" > > -----Original Message----- > From: Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM> > To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> > Date: Sunday, March 01, 1998 6:59 PM > Subject: Re: Exhaust systems > > > >---Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM> wrote: > >> > >> At 08:54 AM 2/28/98 -0800, you wrote: > >> >Well here goes -- another can of worms to open. > >> > > >> >The local Midas shop will build a sytem up for about $500 ($350 US) > >and give > >> >me a "lifetime warranty. > >> > > >> >I like the warranty on the Midas system BUT if aftermarket stuff > >degrades > >> >performance I don't want it! > >> >Rick > >> > > >> My miserable experience with Midas is read the fine print - sure, > >they'll > >> warranty the muffler, but *not* the labor, incredibly expensive > >support > >> brackets, etc etc etc. A $200 job on a Rabbit had ~ $30 warranty on > >the > >> muffler only!!! > >> > >> Austin > >> > > > > > >That's why you only go to Midas for the muffler. Been there, done > >that. *****:( > > > >What you can do to remedy the problem is: > > > >1.) Unless they're in good shape, get the manifolds, side-pipe, and > >gaskets from an indie VW parts dealer who's cool enough to have > >Wasserboxer parts, but not after you've shopped around between them > >and mail-order places like the Bus Depot, who might have a better > >deal. If you're lucky like me, there will be at least one FLAPS that > >has a Volkswagen section. In my case, it's an Advance Auto Parts store > >on the edge of town that has way better prices and service than the VW > >people. Your parts are warrantied there, too. Save the CAT unless you > >can't. > > > >2.) Replace the stuff behind the CAT yourself, or get a friend to do it. > > > >3.) Listen to the bus. Still noisy? > > > >4.) Go to Midas for the muffler. Insist on just the muffler and > >tailpipe. By this point, you KNOW your stuff ahead of the muffler is > >in good shape, so if the Midas guy tries to bulls#!t you into buying a > >converter or complete system, be an @sshole- drive your noisy bus to > >the Midas across town. My folks found a Midas shop with good people. > > > >As the cost of the system is in the non-muffler items, that is where > >you must shop frugally. Legally, Midas has to make good on their > >warranty, because they advertise it. I've been to Midas, so I know > >what it's like. They have their place in the world... > > > >My $0.02 > > > >Sam > >= > >"Punk's not dead (it just sucks right now)" > >_________________________________________________________ > >DO YOU YAHOO!? > >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > >