Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:05:11 -0500
From:         Judith Barr / Leo Girard <lgirard@BMTS.COM>
Subject:      litres/100km vs mpg conversions
Comments: cc: Andy Chiu <equinox@MS4.HINET.NET>

.... last time I checked, I get about 11 km/liter (about 41 mpg).

A little miscalculation.....11 km per litre = 42.8 KILOMETRES per gallon or 26.6 MILES pUSg (33.5 Imp)

For you possible interest

The usually metric kilometrage calculation involves litres used per 100 km. This is a very easy and practical calculation in that if I know the distance to be travelled fuel and cost calculations are instantaneous. For example let's say my fuel consumption has been averaging 9 litres per 100 km. If I'm travelling from Detroit to Toronto (about 375 km) I know that I will use 3.75 x 9 litres (= 33.75); If my cost is 60c per litre I know the trip will cost me about $20.

Some useful comparisons:

Imperial mpg US mpg km/100 litres

50 40 5.7 45 36 6.6 40 32 7.0 35 28 8.0 30 24 9.4 25 20 11.3 20 16 14+ 15 12 18.8 10 08 28

For what it's worth my 85 Vanagon's kilometrage/mileage peaked about 2 yrs ago (at age 11) at 10.9 litres/100km (about 26 mi /IMP gal or 20.8 m/USg). It's now using 14 litres/100km.

Metric is very neat as all you who have travelled/lived outside the US (the last non-metric hold-out).

Regards

Leo

Georgian Bay where today we have 4 cm of snow and at 10 AM the temerature is -7ºC.

85 Vanagon GL (for sale $1700US/ $2500 metric)