Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Mar 1998 16:29:41 -0400
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      Subaru engine swap list??, and FS 1.9l engine complete
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi all,

I'm into this now, as are others. If anyone interested in the topic wants to email me directly I'll build a mailing list (NOT a listserver) and forward any Sub. related posts to/from all contributers daily, or every other day? Think of this as 'converters clearing house'. I imagine more than a few people on the V@L are tired of hearing about this stuff as the frequency increases.

Warmup discussion.....

After having a careful lookover the Subaru engine, the 10 years of technology between vanagon wassers and this engine are quite obvious. Arguably 50 years technology, since it's the same old aircooled engine Ferdinand designed, with some extra water jackets on it. Overhead cams, 4 valves/cyl. And a very solidly assembled engine of substantial aluminium castings, even the valve covers. No tin/steel to rust away here! Heads bolt onto integral block/cyls with conventional thin highly compressed gaskets (no corrosion there), Head bolts are bolts, not stretchy/rusty 10" long studs with nuts. Only one external water 'pipe', thick cast alum also. Complete ignition/wire/FI/intake/vac system removed with 8 bolts, easy direct access. Well designed from build and maintainance point of view IMHO. Now the questions..

1) anyone know if the Subaru injectors fire simultaneously (vanagon style) or are timed with engine/cyls? I ask because the entire intake system can be flipped 180 deg., pointing the throttle/intake rearward allowing more room for intake ductwork. I realize I will have to flip the ignition/coil module to keep the sparks coming in the correct order. An adapter to tilt the intake section flatter may also be possible then, helping reduce deck height.

2) can the cast aluminium water pipe on top of the engine likewise be flipped 180, putting the main rad hose inlet in the same corner as the vanagon's long hoses? T-sta housing underneath will need checking/rotating (next to do).

3) the Sub engine is 2 point supported (low) at the flywheel end only, with a 'tie-rod' to bracket on top of case from body, at same end. Basically the engine overhangs, unlike the vanagons which is end-mounted near the pulleys. I mention it because it may be possible to use the vanagon cross bar and it's rubber mounts to hang the Subaru engine, provided two engine mounts of welded-up flat steel are bolted onto the Sub. block. (This will save $120 from KEP for DIY folks) Bar fits perfectly just between oilpan and bellhousing lips. Anyone see any problems in this area? like destroying a vanagon bellhousing!?

4) Given a high mounted throttle/intake, distributerless ignition and 'sealed' spark plugs, how deep can this engine go under water before it dies? This is of great importance to us Syncronauts! I'm guessing you can submerge it over the top of the case a few inches. Means fording depth goes to 24+" (from 16-18"), maybe better with decent intake ducting/snorkel.

5) Oil pan is about 3" too deep, will hang that much below current vanagon crossbar. Won't do for the Syncro, risky on the street without a small skid plate. Anyone seen alternative oil pans or dry sump kits for this engine? Milling one from billet aluminium is not ideal/cheap.

6) Bottom of flywheel area has only a loose tin shield on it (like diesel vanagons) Ideas on sealing (for Syncro use)?

7) Finally... anyone got a manual for this engine? 1990-current 2.2l Legacy AWD No Haynes avail., and I don't want the dealers blueplate 3 volume special since it's ONLY the engine I own. Need the FI wiring and coolant diagrams.

bye, Tim

'85 CrewCab, on the jacks, about to bork-up its trans for fitting trials '87 Syncro Westy, next, once the bugs are out.

ForSale: one 1.9l engine 100% complete, ALL FI/intake system, alt. etc. (no PS/AC in the crewcabs) No exhaust (well rusted and too bulky to leave on). Compression is 120-125PSI in all 4 cyls, nice and even, just tested on Sunday, 120K miles on engine, heads redone about 40K miles back. Starts instantly, idle is steady, no lifter noises. Strong waterpump, runs cool, no overheats, fan rarely cycles. Led a protected life behind an autotrans in a 'never worked' crewcab. PO owned a small trucking company, believed in maintanance. This was his personal/family vehicle, I'm 2nd owner.

Bargain, BARGAIN: no reasonable offer refused. Make it a reasonable offer, since having this engine around for security/insurance doesn't bother me at all. Works fine, I just want more power. This is a turnkey engine, minimal installation time/effort req'd.

Shipping from within US will be handled if needed. Customs duty is 2.5% of 'declared' value ;), no EPA req'd, $20 admin. fee, I will crate, you pay shipping from Bangor Maine, est. 220lbs?

(sorry for the length of this, last time!)