Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:40:18 EST
From:         SBate82659 <SBate82659@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Zerex phosphate-free coolant
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Vanagoneers,

In an attempt to find a source for the BASF-manufactured coolant that I had been using in my '87 GL, I called BASF only to learn that they sold their coolant division to Valvoline about a year ago. A subsequent call to Valvoline found that they produce Zerex Extreme Life 5-100 coolant that, they say, is the same as the old, phosphate-free BASF product. I was finally put in touch with the National (I believe) Sales Manager for coolant who is Mr. Earl Beahm in Atlanta, Georgia. He told me that he came to Valvoline from BASF when that division was sold and assured me that the Extreme Life 5-100 was, in fact, the same stuff that BASF had once produced. When I asked him where I could buy 3 gallons in Virginia he really couldn't tell me - said that this product wasn't a very big seller here and that he wasn't sure that anyone in the State carried it (this I had already pretty much verified). He told me that if I was unable to find it at NAPA, to call him back and he would ship me a CASE (thats 6 gallons folks) gratis!!!

Well.....needless to say, the NAPA had never heard of the stuff (honest injun!) so I'm calling Earl back in the morning and we'll see if he honors his promise. I've had very good luck with this stuff in the past (120,000 miles with the same heads) and you sure can't beat the price!

I'll keep you all posted and if this works out I'll post Mr. Beahm's phone number.

Sam Bateman

'87 Vanagon GL