Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:13:47 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Suggest 17 psi as min. for off-roading
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I have often suggested to the list that, next time they get stuck in a syncro (or a two wheel drive for that matter) that they are likely to forget the golden path to getting unstuck, which is to air down the tires in a radical way. Next time you get stuck, think about airing down the tires *firstI* before you get out your jack or your shovel or your winch or whatever else you have contemplated.

Now,...I am writing to report data that I have now busted, like, the fifth tire because I aired down too far, and then drove the van through a boulder field. (I use the excellent BF Goodrich 27 x 8.50 tires many of us syncronauts run.)

In this case, I aired the tire down to about 14 psi, and sure enough, through rough driving I drove on the sidewall and ruined it again. So I am now recomending that other list members who follow my advice, if they are driving on rocky trails, to stop at about 17psi and not go much lower. You can go lower in sand and soft snow--I hear that other four wheelers go down to 8psi--but in any kind of a bad road this tends to get you in trouble and to chew up your tires.

________________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington, DC drew@interport.net '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/drew/index.html