Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:26:53 -0500
From:         Mark Hudgik <mhudgik@THE-SPA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Smoke coming from under the van
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Comments: cc: Joe Denison <mjd@NTR.NET>

Joe,

That "bulbous fixture" caused my '81 van's paint job to turn from ivory to black. I would strongly suggest not using it until it has been thoroughly checked out.

From your description, it sounds like you are referring to the auxiliary heater. It is controlled by the green backlighted knob. If I remember correctly, the push-in timer allows for up to 10 minutes of heater run time without starting the van. This is great for preheating the interior first thing on a cold morning. Turning the knob without pushing it in adjusts the interior temperature setpoint (thermostat). I'll let others that haven't yet blackened their exteriors correct me or elaborate.

I would suggest to anyone who owns a van with an auxiliary gasoline heater to check it thoroughly. This should be done at least once a year prior to the heating season, similar to checking/servicing a home heating system. A thorough check of hoses, wiring, sparkplug and combustion chamber will insure a safe and troublefree heating season.

My experience with the aux heater ended in an empty lot next to a convenience store. I was backing out of the parking area of a local convenience store when the clerk came running out frantically pointing at my front bumper. I stopped in front of the row of gas pumps and started to get out to see what the problem was. The clerk started shouting and was now pointing to my bumper AND the rear of the van. That's when I noticed the small trail of fire from the front of the store that continued under the van... and that I was stopped 3 feet from the pump island! I quickly jumped in the van and drove it into the empty lot next door figuring that would be a safe place to find out what was happening. When I jumped out, flames were curling up the bottom edges of the side panels and by the time I ran the 200 ft back to the store, the interior was completely filled with black smoke and the flames had reached the roof drip edges.

I had left the heater (but not the van) running while I went into the store and must have had a leaking fuel line. It probably was due to using, but never servicing the heater over the previous 5 years. The unit's location allows for all sorts of road grunge to wash over it and needs to be maintained, not neglected.

- Mark *** 91 Carat *** - Granby, MA