Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:51:42 -0500
From:         Robert Dalton <Robert.Dalton@NOAA.GOV>
Subject:      Re[2]: EuroVan syncro TDI / sharan url
Comments: To: IPM Return requested Receipt notification requested
          <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>,
          IPM Return requested Receipt notification requested <pick@ISTAR.CA>

Incidentally, to underscore the apparent popularity of camping in Canada, on a trip to Montreal and Quebec in 1994 we happened to visit as many VW dealers as we could fit into our touring schedule. I was looking for a oil filler cap for my 1980 Vanagon which I had left on my workbench at home after adding oil in the wee small hours before our trip started. Although none of the Canadian dealers we visited had the cap in stock, surprisingly all of them had the new Winnebago EV Camper. They only had the gasoline version, however. This EV is stretched by Winnebago (about 1.5 feet) and converted to become a modern upgrade to the Westfalia. It seemed like a great camper, although expensive.

I've looked through some Canadian papers back in the USA since then, but have never seen one of these campers in the classified as a used vehicle. I guess this means they are still too new to appear on the used market, or maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Or maybe it means those few Canadians who bought these campers are holding on tight. Oh ..Canada! .

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: Re: EuroVan syncro TDI / sharan url Author: pick@ISTAR.CA at EXTERNAL Date: 3/12/98 11:17 PM

> I would love to have a diesel EV Camper. What I would really, really > love is the long wheelbase Winnebago EV Camper with a TDI. Being a > 4X4 would be an extra added feature. Unfortunately I don't think > diesel EVs will ever be sold in the USA. But, I wonder... > > Diesels are real popular in Canada. I wonder if any EV diesel campers > are available in Canada. Since Canadian vehicle requirements are very > similar to those in the USA, having a vehicle available in Canada > would mean that VW had satisfied the vehicle requirements for North > America. It should be possible to import such a Canadian vehicle into > the USA. > > Considering the German EV TDI, I wonder if air conditioning is an > option? Hopefully, the TDI would have enough power for air > conditioning.

I exchanged e-mails with a large VW dealer and EV Winnebago dealer in Whitby Ontario (near Toronto) who has converted a long wheelbase diesel to a camper. But has no pop top. Price was $29,000 Canadian. Company is called Owasco, http://www.owasco-canada.com/index.html

Also there is a company in Vancouver called GTRV that does pop top conversions and interiors. I think he said the cost was for a new Transporter ~ $22,000 + $15,000 for pop top, windows and interior. It looks good in the brochure but they have no web site. At $37,000 Canadian it compares favourably with the Winnebago @ $50,000 + but I don't know how it compares for features and quality.

Alan Pickersgill Ottawa, Ontario Canada '85 Transporter (modified as camper) 183,000km