Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:59:07 -0500
From:         Erik O <koesel@UAKRON.EDU>
Subject:      Engine swaps: a must read :)
Comments: To: Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>, vanagon@vanagon.com

Here are some of my ideas on engine swaps... for what it's worth! covered here are...

-16v VW engines -8v VW engines (my van) -Subaru -Wasserboxer -Some tips on conversions.

-16v engines in a vanagon are a BAD idea. They have little torque in the range that the vanagon uses. Plus they don't fit without taking a big chunk out of the frame. Vanagons and especially westys are also carrying around a lot of weight which really takes it's toll on the smaller valve train components. When you have a vehicle of this mass you need to think in terms of BIG when choosing an engine option. Not BIG as in HP, or CC's, BIG as in the physical size of the components. The more surface area a component has, the less it would be subjected to wear under load. Kind of like putting Charlie Ford on ice skates and having him walk on your new hardwood floors, maybe wider is better :)

-I have an 86 GTI 8v hyd. in my 82 Westfalia. Based on the external components I am using, (FI, exhaust, intake, ignition, ect) I figure the engine is producing about 90-95 HP. Once I get rid of the original diesel manifold and some of the exhaust and improve on the intake a bit, I should be able to exceed 110 hp, which is what the engine is rated at. All this means NOTHING though. While the engine is rated at 110 HP, that's at 5500RPM. My van rarely sees that kind range. Don't tell me what your HP is or what you want it to be. Tell me how much torque you have at 2500rpm. You do a lot more driving in that area than at 5500. My van will do 120 mph at 5500, but I'm too old (26) now to go that fast, I like to stay around 70.

-Subaru engines are great in Subaru's, but I think they're going to be proven disappointing in the vanagons. Back to that Charlie Ford on ice skates idea here. Especially given the outrageous cost of the kit from Kennedy I think a lot of people may choose a cheaper and higher mileage engine from the junk yard and be in for trouble from the start. Part of the expense of an engine conversion should benefit you in some way, like ease of maintenance, or availability of parts, or expense of parts. I see none of that with the Subaru conversion. I think Kennedy takes too big a cut on the total project. But what do I know? I guess time will tell.

-Wasserboxers! They deserve a spot here. Most of the time they're the cheapest, easiest option a lot of owners have. Let me say this... THE 2.1L VW WASSERBOXER IS AN EXCELLENT ENGINE. There, now I'm out of the closet, although receiving no ad revenue from VWoA. The WB has one major problem that is rarely addressed here. It's not the leaking heads or the corrosion issue, those are after effects of the main problem. The WB has poor quality, poorly designed head studs. The heads leak because of corrosion, corrosion starts when coolant gets under the gasket sealing surface. The question is why is coolant invading an area that should be sealed. There are other areas of the WB that are sealed and coolant isn't eating it's way through those seals. Go to the archives and do a search under Mark Keller. Read everything he has written on the topic. He explains this better than I do. There is a way to prevent this, you have to figure that into your options.

+ unless you're a true diesel fan, if you have a diesel engine (original) in a vanagon you're crazy, putting a gasoline engine will be a rewarding project for you. + If you don't do your own work stick with what you have, unless you have a mechanic that owes his life to you or something. + If you absolutely must do a conversion use a VW 8v with MECHANICAL valvetrain. + Send list administrator Chris Smith $20, for the list of course! + Avoid engines you can't replace with a "spare" for more than $200. + The Kennedy in-line VW adapter is a GOOD THING. + The 1.9L WB is almost as good as the 2.1L. + Horsepower means squat, if you don't believe me put a Mazda rotary in. + Keep it smog legal, even if you don't have to in your area. + No Charlie Fords were injured or abused during this message. I just needed a figure that a lot of people can relate to as being.... well big. You should see him move on the Tennis court though, wow!

_______________________ Erik O Akron, Oh 82 GTI Westfalia http://ebyte.com/gl http://ebyte.com/cam