Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:35:40 -0500
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Complaint Dept (engine swaps, reliability, whining)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>and are. Despite the unreliablility of my Vanagon (My second '87 and my >second to have leaking heads due to a previous owner using the wrong >anti-freeze. Is this stupid design or what?) it is probably the most

As is well established, has not a thing to do with it, using a phosphate free is simply VW's out. I have a '87 changed every 2 years, blue stuff at the dealer, lasted 89k. Simply poor engineering, never believe anything else, the pliable seal combined with porous cast aluminum heads is doomed for crevice corrosion, possibly enhanced by poor grounding but I've put a megger between the block and heads individually and seen very little resistance, cause I conjectured the ground strap fix on the list 2-3 years ago, but every little bit helps.

Why did VW do this BTW, to be cheap, they were fudging in order to maintain low tolerances on their parts. The pliable seal avoids having to maintain exacting tolerance control on the length of the liners, deck height, and the block to cylinder jacket relative depth. These got to be close to maintain CR, but not so close to maintain a perfect "crush" on a standard head gasket, let alone account for expansion of the engine (never VW/Porsches strongpoint) In the engineering world there is a direct and perhaps exponential relationship between tolerance and price, the reason all mass produced engines are produced to a wide factory range and most by the luck and laws of statistics fall into a good band with only the occasional dog or wonderful factory runner. The occasional dog that by mishap stacks up all to one side of the tolerance band has to work as well, and a fudge solution like a big pliable seal makes it. Subaru obviously made better parts, but not always, look at the crank to pulley attachment on a first generation Subaru plant, and all those early poor turbo experiments, and give VW a bit of a break, Subaru has 25+ YEARS into the water cooled 4 cylinder opposed design, VW orphaned it after 10. So what, why it's in there is TORQUE, and balance that were/are not available in the inline 4 of the time (1600cc in '83 boys and girls), why those wonderful SA vans favor a 2.2 or bigger Audi 5 cylinder (a great motor in nearly any form, particularly turbo 20V iterations). Who knows had VW not been heading for a certain grave (still might be) in the late 80's maybe they would have tried another iteration and been up to the reliability of the current Subaru 16V mill (a great powerplant, I've seen one torn down at 200k miles by a friend interested in their longetivity before he put one in a Longeasy.) As it is the Vanagon died, the engine with it, just as a couple generations before it had, the T4 really isn't a lot better in a heavy van people, just a few more of them out there initially so slightly more of an aftermarket. Anyway enough of a tirade, be happy, if you aren't change, if you still aren't go buy a nice reliable Caravan, AstroVan, whatever, may not prove much better but parts will be cheaper.

John vwbus@mindspring.com