Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:38:22 EST
From:         SKYSCI <SKYSCI@AOL.COM>
Subject:      The 1.8 (was Re: Complaint Dept (engine swaps, reliability,)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

(1600cc in'83 boys and girls), > >Not true, my 83 GTI(and everybody elses) had a 1.8 and I believe they were >then using a 1.7 in the regular Rabbits, Jettas, and Quantums. The 1.8 has >greater HP and equal torque.

David wrote: >Not true!!! (Almost) Equal hp yes, certainly NOT torque. The >2.1L >wasserboxer has 95hp and 117ft/lb torque and the 1.8L JH >engine found in >the Rabbit GTI has 90hp and 105ft/lb torque. Still I'd rather >use a 1.8L >Rabbit GTI engine than a wasserboxer - hence my engine swap!

Yes, I know. I was only comparing it to the 1.9 which is the engine produced in 1983(.5), the year in question. I knew this response was coming, though, after I sent the original message. As far as using the 1.8, I fully agree. Between my father and I, we have owned/own 5 Rabbit GTI's. My current one is almost at the 200K mark. We've never experienced any sort of engine related problem with any them. (knocking on wood) Now that I think about it, we've never had any sort of electronic, computer, or fuel injection problems either. (again) That is why we've had so many. We also own an 83 with a 16v conversion and my father road races one. For the first three years that my father raced, he used a completely stock engine that already had 140K on it. The only modification was an oil cooler. When he decided to have a motor built to class specs he did compression and leakdown tests on the this engine and it was fine! Try that with a wasserboxer, if it even makes it to 140K. I wouldn't mind throwing a 1.8 in my bus since I have a couple sitting in the garage, but my wasserboxer was replaced only 20K ago, so I figure I should be able to get some serious miles out of it before it comes to that. But when the time comes....

Tim SKYSCI@aol.com Princeton, NJ 85 Westy Wolfsburg 84 GTI