Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Mar 1998 00:30:51 -0500
From:         Erik O <koesel@UAKRON.EDU>
Subject:      Wasserboxers Suck! Was Extraordinarly Bad Engines... Bla, Bla....
Comments: To: "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

This is really a pointless topic to discuss here as everyone has very different opinions and different histories with this engine. One thing I have noticed is people chumming in saying they got 70k to 90k before they had to replace their heads, then they're at 140k+ and doing fine. I really don't think you can expect much more out of an engine than that. These vans are big, heavy creatures that are just destine to abuse their engines. I'm running an '86 GTI inline 4cyl in my '82 Westfalia and I wouldn't expect to get much more than 80k out of a NEW engine of that type. The cost of "fixing" the heads on the wasserboxer is a little outrageous I'll admit, but considering that is the major cost of maintaining these beasts, who cares if that's the thing to do every 75k or so. We need something to do on the weekends :) OVERALL COST OF OWNERSHIP folks!

If you can get an inline VW engine in your van do it, you can replace it with a used one from a junkyard for a couple hundred bucks. If you can't, stick with the tough little wasserboxer that came with your van and really performs well. All you have to do is make sure you let it warm up a bit before you start bringing the RPMs up and pushing coolant under those gaskets. I would love to see how many miles one could get out of a Subaru Legacy with a VW wasserboxer under the hood if they just let it warm up a bit before they zoomed off.

Believe it or not I think the wasserboxer is the major reason why we started driving these silly looking vans in the first place. My first watercooled van was an 87 Syncro and I loved it! We wanted heat, performance, ect that we weren't getting from the air suckers. Who really expected that these vans would go over 150k on the same motor? I think we're lucky to get 50k. And if they did out perform "Toyotas" in engine reliability, what would we talk about? We need a reason to get greasy occasionally.

Basically what I'm saying is although I no longer own a Vanagon with a wasserboxer, I still love those engines, even if the chicks don't dig it :)

_______________________ Erik O Akron, Oh 82 GTI Westfalia http://ebyte.com/gl http://ebyte.com/wow