Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:59:36 -0600
From:         "Michael D. Landis" <mlandis@WATERVALLEY.NET>
Subject:      FS: 1981 Westy - Memphis/North MS area

Well, I'm putting Maxbug up for sale. When I bought him almost a year ago I *thought* my work situation was about to change. The software project I'd been working on for almost a year was nearly done and I thought I'd go from 60-70 hour workweeks to a more normal 40 and have lots of time to enjoy the vehicle that I'd always wanted to own.

Didn't work out that way. Immediately after the one project was finished I was offered another at a price I couldn't refuse. I've been able to get away to take Max camping exactly twice, most recently last September. There's no end in sight and I just can't justify the upkeep any more.

So, here's what I have: a 1981 Westy with just under 5000 miles (all highway driving) on a completely rebuilt engine, 105K on the odometer, and working air conditioning. Fuel pump, clutch master cylinder, and distributor have all been replaced since I've owned it. I've installed a Jensen 4x35 watt radio-cassette and put on 4 new 6-ply tires. The ride is very smooth; she'll cruise all day at a nice even 67 mph or so.

Exterior is dark orange, interior is gold, both in pretty good shape. It has all curtains and the screen-cover for the back door. I've never used the stove or fridge; the PO told me the gas system worked but I can't confirm that. The poptop seals are good, the canvas remained leak-free in a weekend-long downpour.

Known problems: the fridge doesn't get electricity in either AC or DC modes. The gas tank was dirty when I bought it and went through fuel filters like candy -- 4 or 5 in the first couple thousand miles. But the current filter has been on for more than 1500 miles and still looks OK so I'm guessing most of the schmutz has been flushed out. The muffler is some weird aftermarket that looks like it was clumsily welded together by a drunken chimp. A couple of holes have been patched with JB Weld, it could probably stand to be replaced.

I'm asking $4200 but no reasonable offer will be refused. I'm located in northern Mississippi about 80 miles from Memphis TN. If you're interested please email me offlist or phone 601-473-4225 between 11 am and 5pm Central time.

_=========== Michael D. Landis mlandis@watervalley.net /_| |__||__|]\ '81 Westfalia "MAXBUG" :: Duo 230 "Sinister Mobile" | º | VW & Mac: 2 great techs that tech great together! c-(*)-----(*)-'= oo