Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 1998 07:43:31 -0500
From:         EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>
Subject:      Re: Head (gasket) fix
Comments: To: Patrick Larsen <pll@UNLINFO.UNL.EDU>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Patrick Larsen wrote:

> At 12:10 PM 3/31/98 -0500, EMZ wrote: > >> > THE PROBLEM IS THE WATER THAT IS USED WITH THE ANTI-FREEZE > >> >!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > >> >My Vanagon is proof of this. I did just this, put 70,000 miles > >> >on the gasket job and not one problem. Never bothered with the > >> >anti-freeze after that. > --snip-- > > Pure H20 and anti-freeze is the best. Prestone is now selling > > water for cooling systems. It is 99.9 % H2O. You can use any > > anti-freeze you want, but make sure you use pure H2O with it. > > > --snip-- > > This is an extremely bold claim. Especially if it is based on a sample size > of one in an experiment that isn't even close to finished. Until this > *experiment* is finished (head gasket failure, or tear down and inspect > heads) it doesn't really mean much. And even then, a sample of one is > pretty much meaningless, hell, there are waterboxers with over 150K that > haven't had head gasket failures. If we took one example from all the stats > people have been posting recently, the waterboxer might look extremely > reliable (>150k before failure) or extremely unreliable (<30k before > failure). If you actually have evidence that I will never have a problem > again by simply using deionized water, then I would be interested in seeing > it. > > Regards, > Patrick > ___________________________________________________ > > Patrick L. Larsen > Water Center-University of Nebraska

Patrick, This is number 8 in the head gaskets that I am finishing. I can only determine that out of 7 completed. I have only seen 1 ever again. Mine. I know of 3 that have gone over 60,000 mile without any other problem, but without being there, I can not speak for what has happened in the mean time. None have failed to my knowledge. All have gotten my TLC. All have been hear for over 3 weeks, being checkout, pulled apart, fixed, and run for 1 week to get the bugs out. None have been Syncros. 1 automatic. If I had more time I can go on....

Stay in school....you need it./...,,,wrong change your major... go to law school! Eric