Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:09:55 -0500
From:         brad horner <crud@DNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Running Hot
Comments: To: Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

---------- > From: Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM> > To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Running Hot > Date: Thursday, April 02, 1998 6:44 PM > > ---Paulo <paulagon@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > > > > Hola Listees - > > > > There's been a ton of talk about head gaskets lately. How closely is > > hot engine temp related to the HG? > > Overheating can blow a head gasket; a blown head gasket can cause > overheating. The first clause is self-explanatory. The second is due > to this: As the gasket leaks, air is introduced into the cooling > system, retarding its effectiveness. I suggest investigating the > "Waterboxer longevity" thread for comments on different types of > sealant, as I am currently doing. > > > My Syncro occassionally runs hot, primarily when I start driving. The > > temp gague will go to about 75 - 80% - close to hot. Usually it will > > cool down after a few minutes. If I'm climbing upward it happens a > > bit more dramatically and will cool once I pass the apex. > > Sounds like a thermostat condition. I had that problem. To test, put > the thermo in a pot of water with a thermometer. Turn on the stove, > and find out what temperature makes the thermostat open. Check it > against the Bentley manual. > > If that is your problem, check out the archives for info on Syncro > thermostats- they're different. If that isn't the problem, check the > radiator fan motor. > > Best of luck, > Sam > > = > "Punk's not dead (it just sucks right now)" > _________________________________________________________ > DO YOU YAHOO!? > Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com =============================================== I would check out the thermostat too. You might need some hose clamps for that. I would also change out my coolant and make sure that the radiator gets bled out at 2000 rpm. Test the fan. Test the fan switch. I paid the $15 for the new switch just as insurance. You will pay less if you mail order. Clean the grounds. Make sure that the oil level is about 1/4 above minimum!

We don't need drivers, just a good nurse. Brad