Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 1998 09:41:35 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <jim@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 Syncro needs lost spacer/shim for rear axle
Comments: To: deandrew <deandrew@SOMTEL.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 10:42 AM 4/3/98 PST, deandrew wrote: >While performing a roadside cv boot repair I lost the spacer/shim thingy for the inner side of RR axle shaft of my 1987 Volkswagen Vanagon Syncro. >It goes between the inner side of the inner CV joint and the axle flange on the tranmission. It is shown in the upper left side of page 42.7 of the Bentley Manual. It is sort of irregular round shaped with 6 indentations on the outside edge that allow the cv bolts to pass by it and hold it in place. I think that it is "Syncro Only" as my other Vanagons did not have them. > >Does anyone have a used or new one for sale? Can anyone provide me with it's VW part number? > >Thanks! > >Andrew Martin >'87 Vanagon GL Syncro >165K >Stratton, Maine >deandrew@tdstelme,com ****************************************

Andrew must have a newer Bentley than mine, because this shim/spacer is not shown in my 1989 dated Bentley, page 42.7

So I looked up in the ye olde parts film. Yep, Illustration 54, item 18A. Problem is they don't identify this piece separately in the adjoining parts listing. Went back through my archive of outdated syncro parts films (as well as 2wd models back to 1980), they still show it and still no identification as a separate piece.

But it shows it's part of the CV Boot Kit 251-598-201. OK, pull a OEM kit off the shelf, look inside - no shim/spacer. Hmm - I'll make a call to my VW contact in Troy, MI and see what the scoop is.

Speculation - it may have been originally installed at the factory, but may have been dropped because VW felt it was no longer needed and the CV is to be installed direct to the flange. I'll find out.

Jim Thompson 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle * 90 Fox Wagon Check out our latest cool stuff at: http://www.oldvolkshome.com ------------------------------------------- Check out the Odd, Weird, One of a Kind Items For Sale On the "OddBall Page" http://www.oldvolkshome.com/oddball.html ------------------------------------------- Our Website is totally redesigned for ease of your use. Now in "Frames" or "No Frames" format: Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/frames.html No Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/homenf.html ------------------------------------------- Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 (530) 221-5342 (Voice or Fax) jim@oldvolkshome.com jim96003@c-zone.net