Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:53:33 -0800
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Kelley Park
Comments: To: type2@bigkitty.azaccess.com, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I'm going to try to go to San Jose Saturday, and get in line for KP on Sunday morning. I'll be driving the Syncro Doublecab to show it off (but not planning on entering -- no appropriate class since it ain't "vintage"). I'll hopefully be bringing my '80 Westy to leave in San Jose. Any suggestions on places possibly to stay for Saturday night, mebbe Sunday as well? Are all the voyagers meeting someplace to camp?

Malcolm

1986 Vanagon GL 1986 Syncro Kombi Transporter 1986 Syncro Doublecab Transporter 1980 Westfalia ---- parters... 1978 bus, 1981 Vanagon, 1983 Diesel Westy... that's *7* now

By the way, on the reliability of waterboxers thread on vanagon.com: My waterboxers do better than my airboxer -- they drop valve seats like Henny Youngman dropped bad jokes. There are lots of ads for places like Mark Stephens where they assure you that their heads are better. The waterboxers have head/case leaks (not really head gaskets), but I have not experienced this -- the two Syncros only have 80,000 miles each, the 86 Vanagon has about 120k, the Westy about 140k. No leaks so far on any of the wet ones, but two dropped valve seats on the air-pumper.

All VW engines suffer from weak areas -- the old ones were weak on cooling for #3, weak on cases, weak on head studs. "Case savers", welding behind one of the case webs, and line-boring to fix the pounded-out mains is legion. The Type4 engines have stellar bottom-ends in that nice aluminum case, but parts are expensive and they drop valve seats. Most are burdened with horrific smog crap (I think the '80 California one is the least burdened). Altogether, I like the 86-91 waterboxers the best of the batch -- lots of power (relatively...) and good reliability. What is the worst engine VW ever built? I don't know -- most have weaknesses. I'd guess my favorite was the doghouse beetle engines, but these never were in US buses, and as stock they have finicky smog stuff as well.

On electronic ignition: I just spent some time rebuilding the ignition system on my '80. I would expect that the 1980-1985 Vanagon's electronic ignition would make a nice system on most any old VW if you can find one at a wrecking yard. They are *very* simple, and "all VW". You will need the distributor, coil and "ignitor" module complete with the wiring, but it is all drop-in from there. Most mid-80s Rabbits/Golf/Jettas used the same coil and ignitor, so parts easy to find in the yards. The ignitors and coils are pretty expensive otherwise.