Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 1998 19:11:30 -0500
From:         Erik O <koesel@UAKRON.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Head (gasket) fix
Comments: To: Bob Berkemer <berky@WIN.BRIGHT.NET>,
          "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Bob Berkemer wrote: > > God I hated stats! Lies, lies and damnable lies! > > Oh well..I regress....... It seems that there are two basic hypothesis > for the failure of the head gaskets even though they seem to be linked. > First is the bad water/antifreeze camp. Second is the bad grounding of > anything/everything camp.

From the corrosion I've seen personally, I see no indication that the coolant/water combination or grounding issues are the cause of this problem, rather just signs of it. It is only under the headgasket sealing surface where this problem is isolated. There are other places you should find corrosion if the problem was one of the two above causes. The whole head would corrode for that matter. That fact that it's isolated under a surface that is supposed to be sealed makes me think of other options.

Like I said in my previous post, you need to keep the coolant from being able to force itself under the gasket. The way to do this is to make sure the engine is at proper operating temp so the maximum clamping force is applied to the heads and gaskets. Another way is to route the coolant pressure around the engine (bypassing the internal head area) while the engine is below a certain temp, thus lowering the pressure of the coolant at the head gaskets. Until the engine reaches temp, the thermostat restricts the flow and puts too much pressure at the gasket sealing surface at a time when the clamping pressure is not optimum. Hence the flexible rubber seals. That was VWs solution attempting to compensate for using dissimilar metals for the engine. These metals have different expansion/ thermal properties. Does anyone else agree with this? bla bla bla I'm done for now.

-- _______________________ Erik O Akron, Oh 82 GTI Westfalia http://ebyte.com/gl http://ebyte.com/wow