Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 1998 19:57:16 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <jim@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pop top seal Bulk rolls( LIST PURCHASE?)
Comments: To: ghamburg <ghamburg@VOM.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 07:11 PM 4/3/98 -0800, you wrote: >MAYBE WE COULD DO A LIST PURCHASE OF A ROLL OR 2 OF THIS POP TOP SEAL SEAL FROM TRIM LOC, I WILL BE CALLING THEM ON MONDAY TO GET SOME MORE INFORMATION & PRICES MAYBE THEY ALSO HAVE OTHER SEALS LIKE ROOF VENT, ENGINE COVER ETC ... >GHAMBURG@VOM.COM *********************************

Been there, done that department******

Looked into having them maybe do the Roof Vent Seal last month. Custom-made (they have no trim extrusion even close to it), have to order 5000 feet of material minimum, plus the cost for tooling ($$expensive$$) and the cost price per foot was too high. Still cheaper to get them from Ron (Bus Depot - $39.95), who gets them from Euro-American RV Products in North Hollywood, CA, who is the original supplier to VW & Westfalia and that's where I still get them for now.

Looked into having them make the Rear Hatch Seal (I need one too). Same story, it would be cheaper for me to buy it from VW with a shop discount.

Engine Cover Seal - This is just a plain foam rubber square (hollow) extrusion. I will be producing and selling it it this summer for about 1/2 of what VW gets for it (They get $26.70! - whadda rip-off) out of better EPDM Foam material. Trim-Lok does not do plain rubber or foam rubber extrusions, just locking vinyl trim/rubber extrusions.

Don't mean to blow up your balloon, but I've been doing this rubber extrusion bit since the late 70's for Bugs and Buses and I'm just now finishing the tooling and first production of the Windshield Seal in high quality EPDM for Vanagons (without the chrome groove). Tooling for that was a couple of thou and I have to order 200 seals minimum to be able market them at about $45-$49. Testing of fit and leakage will be done later this month through May. Side and Rear Window Seals coming later this year after I get some money back on the windshield seals to pay for that project. Again, I went to a different source for this (same extruder I've had for over 20 years).