Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 1998 22:52:41 -0800
From:         quoton <quoton@DIAL.KFU.COM>
Subject:      Rebuilding vanagon engine
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi Volks:

I am considering to rebuild the engine of my 83 westy. After checking the prices for geniue VW pistons, rings and cylinders I was a bit shocked by the price tag of more than $1200 dollars. They don't sell them as a set, but individually.

I checked around for after market liners and was given a price of $350 for a set by Moly. They told me it's the OEM liner. But is made in Brazil. They said VW OEM'ed the same thing from the company. I was also given a $650 set of the same brand but made in Germany.

I have to be skeptical about this. I thought this group can help me. Could anyone comment on this? Where should I go for a real good liner set? What's the brand name? Thanks a lot in advance.

BTW I am experienced in taking the engine apart and put it back together. I replaced my 84 vanagon's head gaskets 2 years ago myself. I did take all pistons, cylinders and rings off for checking and cleaning. It's time for the 83 westy and I think it needs a new liner set.

David Kao 83 westy and 84 vanagon