Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Apr 1998 09:15:35 -0500
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head (gasket) fix
Comments: To: Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM>, vanagon@vanagon.com

>Dumb question, but I'm stumped. Where does one buy the flat, woven, tinned >wire that is usually used for heavy current grounding...I've seen it in >various widths or gages or whatever actually on vehicles, but never in >FLAPS, J.C. Whitney, Fry's, etc. Where is this stuff???

Try a good electronics supply store, the kind of place where TV repair men would buy their parts, should have grounding strap in various sizes, no real reason for the tinned stuff, bare copper will suffice, solder the connections. But as I've noted, I'll doubt anyone is going to see this stop their head corrosion, there simply isn't any difference in potential there ladies and gentlemen, at least not on my '85 or '87, but hey anything helps. On the other side, 1.9's are notorious for bad grounds, and as the factory strap to the engine goes, the computer sensor leads starts carrying some heavier loads than they should ever see, degrading, and you get mysterious stumbling, etc. 2.1 is a bit less prone as it doesn't have all the grounds tied to the block. Good idea certainly to augment the ground there, and at the same time, hell why not daisy chain it from head (stock ground location) to case (upper through bolt) to head (stock ground location) diagonally across the engine. But don't believe the claims this will miraculously fix your problem, sure current flow is always involved in corrosion but you'll get it anyway to the jugs, head cap nuts, studs, etc. The crevice corrosion problem is as much a physical thing as an electrical, simply bad seal design and porous castings. And you'll always have metals of different (nobility?) in there in intimate contact so your best bet is probably just to pray a lot, will help just as much as anything.

John vwbus@mindspring.com