Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Apr 1998 08:13:10 -0800
From:         quoton <quoton@DIAL.KFU.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rebuilding vanagon engine
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Comments: cc: Darrell Boehler <dboehler@taos.midwest.net>

Darrell Boehler wrote: > > --------------------- > Hi David, > Last year I rebuilt my 86 with 227k miles and just knew I would need > pistons and cylinders and ordered the german ones from a list supplier. > When I removed the P and Cs and looked them over good I was amazed they > still had cross hatch marks all the way up and down the cylinder walls left > from the factory hone job. I know this engine had never been removed from > the van and they were original. I mic the cylinders and had a > professional mechanic check them along with all the rest of my engine and he > agreed they had no ware. I returned the p and Cs saved the $650 and now > have good compression and oil usage is normal 233k . The previous owner of > my westy used synthetic oil. > One other thing I feel that balancing this engine is a good thing. I > took the crank and all the parts that are tied to it to a speed shop and > they balanced it for $100. My 4 cylinder is as smooth as can be. Good luck > with your quest. > > Darrell Boehler > Makanda Illinois >

Hi Darrell:

Glad to hear that your vanagon engine has no wear after 227k miles. I am not too surprised. I have 2 vanagons. I took araprt the engine of my 84 vanagon 2 years ago for replcing leaky head gaskets. I found the samething. The original cross hatch pattern was still quite visible on all 4 cylinders. I did suspect that the rings were a little loose and might had worn a little too. But I did not replce them but did some cleaning. The engine is still running very strong at 140k miles now. Well, now I can expect it all the way to 220k miles without wear.

However, my 83 westy is probably different. I bought this one used at 60k miles from a friend. According to the friend it had the head gasket syndrome since 30k miles. At the time his dealer drilled 2 small holes on the thermostat and hoped it would fix the overheat/flashing warning light symptom. Naturally it did not fix the problem. But the friend simply drove on until 60k miles. During the 30k miles he added he simply drove the westy with low temp or slow warming up condition. By the time the westy was clearly a powerless heavy brick to drive the engine probably had completely worned out (the liner).

I finally bought it from the friend, knowing the engine probably needed work, and took it to a VW dealer, submitted a request to fix it for the head gasket syndrome reason. They honored me 75% of the cost (I paid 25%) to fix the head gasket problem). They did replced the heads with rebuilt ones and fitted with new gaskets. But the westy was still powerless. I continued to drive it for another 20k miles and finally I could not tolerate the poor performance any longer. I should fix it or further damage might follow if I continue to drive it powerlessly. The compression are slightly lower than my 84 at 140k miles. There is definitely something wrong on the liner.

It's funny that the engine sounds like new, smooth and quiet and idle just like a new one. But it is just powerless. I have swapped everything I can think of, anything that might have snything to do with engine power, with my 84 and the problem persists.

I plan to tear the engine apart very soon. By then I expect to prove that the liner is worn. I might find that not everything is worn. The Cylinders might be still OK. The rings are probably in bad shape. I hope the pistons are still OK. But I do consider to replace the whole thing. I can not refuse the temptation of a new set of OEM liner.

Thanks for responding.