Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Apr 1998 09:06:51 -0800
From:         "Backus, Brian G" <Brian.Backus@PSS.BOEING.COM>
Subject:      Re: bad engine survey
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM,
          Undetermined origin c/o LISTSERV administrator
          <owner-LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>

I have a 86 Westy and really wish I had more power. Gettng into traffic sometimes can be a little squeamish. I actually got hit one time and did $4500 damage because "I thought I could make it". I always invision myself being the guy behind me that had some guy that pulled out into traffic only to take a couple blocks to get up to speed thinking, "what an asshole, I wish he'd get with it". I don't have that problem at all with my 93 Ford E-350.

But yes if you are patient and are not living in the Seattle area, you should have no problem getting into traffic with a Vanagon.

If you think that 100K or about 70,000 Miles is an exceptable amount of mileage you must have deep pockets. But you are right about the evolution of the engine. I wish they'd take the Wasserboxer one more step and fix what problems that do exist and improve on some others. (Like horse power) Instead of giving us a "EuroVan that does not interest me one bit just like the "new Beetle". I'm afraid that VW has lost me as a new car buyer because they really don't make anything anymore that I feel is any better than what we make here in the USA.

Oh you might ask, "what am I doing driving a "93 E-350 Ford? Yes it only gets 12 MPG at best. Yes, it has not even come close to the practicality of the Vanagon. Yes in a lot of ways, it isn't even close to the vehicle that the Vanagon is. But, it has got all the power I could dream about, it will hold my whole family comfortably ( I have four kids) and still carry all t groceries, camping gear, etc...I have the Chateau package which is top of the line interior package. Vw has nothing that compares with the luxury of this Ford. And some of you might say so what. I still ask myself the same thing. But I do enjoy driving the Ford. The interior sound level is much quieter, the stock stereo (I don't even have top of the line) cranks. It's got front and rear heat and A/C.

The Vanagon is such a neat little package. But it does lack a lot of what I have been raised to expect from a vehicle here in the states. I'm German, but hey I've been raised here in America.

Brian G. Backus

If I were still driving the '84 I might be tempted to upgrade to a 2.1 engine but that is as far as I would go vis-a-vi engine swaping.

And when you look at the overall improvement that the Vanagon represents over the air cooled busses, it seems that re-doing the heads every 100K or so miles is an acceptable down side. Just