Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Apr 1998 20:33:45 -0800
From:         quoton <quoton@DIAL.KFU.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rebuilding vanagon engine
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Comments: cc: Darrell Boehler <dboehler@taos.midwest.net>

Darrell Boehler wrote: > > ------------------ > Have you tried the fuel injectors. Our engines will not run well if one > injector is too rich or too lean. The computer will adjust the mixture > until it has a proper burn mixture and some cylinders will be rich or lean. > The bosch systems we have need all injectors to inject the same amount. One > exception is at wide open throttle, the digifant uses a preset amount of > injection time depending on the rpm and I believe the L-jetronic with ego > sensor and digijet use the afm and rpm. A bad or partial clogged injector > can play havoc with our beloved wasserboxers performance. > You can get pretty good success cleaning the injectors by soaking them > submerged in injector cleaner over night and blow them out with air. You > would not believe the crud that will roll from the injectors. It is > possible to test the flow rate, I have done this with paper cups under > pulled injectors and then crank the engine a bit and measure the output of > each with a syringe or eye dropper. I now have an injector tester that > gives me the ability to dial in the pulse length and repetition rate > (simulates rpm) and can let it run continuos or for a variable length of > time. A balanced set of injectors can make a huge difference in power > output. > > Darrell Boehler > Makanda Illinois >

I believe that I had the injectors swapped with my 84 vanagon. I had to also replace all the injector seals at the time of swap. It did not help and I swapped all of them back.

But you made a real good suggestion here. I have wondered for a long time how my injectors are doing. I'll try to check them out if I have a chance. It seems not too difficult to clean them out.

I think I will do a compression check again and compare it to my 84. If the difference is obvious then I have a good reason to take the engine apart. I believe it has worned out the rings and possibly the cylinders too. I hope the pistons are still good. I believe the rings/cylinders wear out very fast if running cold/slow warming up for a prolonged time. That's what had happened to my westy.

Thanks for replying again. I am taking the Bus Depot's words. I will probably replace the liners if proven worn out after I take it apart.

David Kao 83 westy (80k) 84 vanagon (140k)