Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Apr 1998 20:50:00 -0800
From:         quoton <quoton@DIAL.KFU.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rebuilding vanagon engine
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM
Comments: cc: The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>

The Bus Depot wrote: > > > Yes, your Vanagon came from the factory with Mahle pistons/cylinders, > although they were the German made ones. To be fair, most of the Brazilian > made Mahle P&C's that I've seen (speaking generally here, not specifically > Vanagon) appear virtually identical to the German ones (unlike the > Brazilian Cofap sets, which do not). The brand's reputation is excellent, > and I would personally feel fairly safe with Mahle P&C's from either > country. > > However, the last time I sent a set of GERMAN-made Mahle 1.9L > pistons/cylinders to a customer I only charged him $399. I'd have to make > sure the price hasn't gone up (I'm at home right now), but $650 seems a bit > excessive. > > -Ron Salmon > The Bus Depot > http://www.busdepot.com

That sounds a very good news to me. They also mentioned another brand name starts with letter k. It's a German name which I did not get it. Do you know what it is? And how do you compare betweem them? Or are they basically the same company?

In case my liners are worn out I would really like to replace it with an OEM set. Everything else in that engine should be in excellent shape (after all it's got only 80k miles). I will soon do a compression check again and if the numbers are truely not good then I will take it apart soon. I will check your prices by then.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

David Kao 83 westy (80k) 84 vanagon (140k)