Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Apr 1998 21:05:53 -0800
From:         quoton <quoton@DIAL.KFU.COM>
Subject:      Rear wheel bearing replacement
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi Volks:

Just thought I should post this in case anyone needs to replace rear wheel bearings.

One of my real wheel bearings have been noisy for at least 4 years. It's getting louder so I decided to get it fixed.

I was able to take it apart without a press. The inner bearing was very easy to push out. But the outer one took some pounding. It was destroyed after it finally came out. But it was the one responsible for the noise. The inner one appeared in good shape.

So I installed a new outer bearing and installed 2 new seals and put everything back. The noise was gone. Everything worked perfect.

Also the CV joints (both sides) have been noisy for at least 2 years. I took the chance to lubricate them really well. And the noise was completely gone too.

It turned out that the job was relatively easy. Total cost was below $40. The 84 vanagon is worth the care. Just thought someone might need such info.

David Kao 83 westy (80k) 84 vanagon (140k)