Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Apr 1998 09:15:57 8
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <wesn@mail.eskimo.com>
From:         Wes Neuenschwander <wesn@ESKIMO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic Fridge Lighting Problems
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

> Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 08:37:56 -0500 > From: Morris Arthur <morris@CMR.SPH.UNC.EDU> > Subject: Dometic Fridge Lighting Problems

> Here's my situation: > > I open the valve, hold in the override button, pump air through the > combustion chamber, and spark: nothing. > > *But*, if the fridge is running on AC and I immediately follow with the > above procedure, the burner gets lit.... > > Could my override button be non-functioning such that gas only flows when > everything's hot ? Other suggestions ? I'm baffled... > > Morris > '83.5 Camper >

I think it's unlikely that the 'override' button is the problem. When you depress button it pushes a small stop away from the gas valve seat, allowing gas to flow to the burner. Heat from the ignited burner generates a *very* small electric current which energizes a *very* small magnetic coil, retaining the stopper when the button is released. So if this valve is bunged up, the typical result is that the burner won't light, period (i.e., pushing the button generates *way* more force than the coil ever could).

Much more likely, I think, is a dirty burner and/or flue pipes. When these get dirty (which they do, regularly), air-flow is impeded, making combustion difficult. Actually, combustion in these things is difficult enough even when they're clean, relying on siphoning fresh air down one tube and venting combustion gases up another. The function of the air pump is to provide enough fresh air to start the burner which then establishes an induced airflow via the "stack-effect" (hot gases rising through the exhaust flue). This stack effect basically is what starts the siphon. The reason you're able to light the burner after you've been running on 120VAC is that the electric heating element heats the exhaust flue somewhat, creating a stack effect and inducing some air-flow in the flue.

My recommendation is that you pull the refer and clean the burner and flue assembly. You might also want to re-build the air pump (the O-ring may be leaking, making the pump ineffective), performing the pump modification if it hasn't been done already (consists of drilling out the air discharge port to allow more air-flow).

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander Seattle, WA wesn@eskimo.com