Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:33:22 -0700
From:         Alain Thibault <alain@INTERGATE.BC.CA>
Subject:      Acceleration problems at green lights
Comments: To: LISTE VANAGON <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Hi When I took my van to the mechanic yesterday, everything was running fine. I had told him that the van was somewhat lasy but his check up did not reveal any concerns. Then the van ran smoothly for the rest of the day. The lack of power that I am talking about below, really started to get worse today and makes me wandering if during the check up he would have unplugged some kind of sensor and forgot to plug it back properly. Anyway, here are the symptoms: .when warm and stopped at a red light for instance, it is sometimes slow to move forward when light turns green, in spite of me having the pedal almost entirely depressed. For a moment, there is no power and then a sudden surge of power...and this goes on and off until I shift in the 3rd gear. I don't know yet if this lack of power also happens when cold. This lack of power happens mainly in 1st and 2nd gear but will also happens occasionnally in 3rd gear. The fuel filter seems to have been changed recently...O2 was also changed.

Could it be the fuel pump? spark plugs (a bit black but have been changed less than a year ago...)... Should I add some fuel injectors cleaners in my gas tank? Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you very much

Alain Thibault Vancouver, BC Westfalia 1991