Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Apr 1998 07:35:02 -0500
From:         "John H. Rodgers" <inua@QUICKLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: The Printed Word
Comments: To: "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@concentric.net>
Comments: cc: Vanagon <vanagon@zuni.likeminds.com>

-- [ From: John H. Rodgers * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Steve, actually I think getting it all on cd might be a better deal. Individuals could then do their own reasearch at home at their leisure and print out however thaey wanted. As for who owns what so far as the content of the archives, the list, the list server, etc, I can't answer that. This is an area that the legal beagles are going to have to sort out. There is already a storm coming over ownership of intellectual content of the net, and copyright ownership on even so simple a thing as a post to a list like this one. By the measure of some, even this post I am writing is copyrighted material and for anyone else to copy it is copyright infringment.

The political correct legal correct thing is going to ruin it for us all. It is principally about money. Someone is affraid someone else is going to make a buck. How bad it is getting to be? A case appeared in California where an employee, after working for several years, moved on, going into business for himself. His new business did not produce a product or compete with the old company in any way. However, what he learned at the company.... ..the experiaence he gained, the knowledge he had acquired, the technical expertised he developed, the intellectual maturity in business he had learned, all at the old company......was the foundation for his new business , as it would most likely be for all of us. And the old business sued, asking the court for a piece of all he produced in the future because it would always and forever incorporate into the work his mental development that occurred while working for the old company. Last I heard the case didn't look good for the guy. It's crazy! If this ever becomes a standard in law we are all screwed! Can you imagine working in a garage, then because of your experience there you go in business making some little whizgadget that make a mechanics life easier and your former employer wants a piece of your money for it forever! It's a nightmare to even contemplate. And its all about avarice.

I belong to some internet business groups and through them I can see this thing of property rights rising, and I predict that the freedomn we now have on the net is going to be lost because of the greed.

John Rodgers '85 GL Driver in Alabam' -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------