Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Apr 1998 06:44:21 -0800
From:         "Kevin J. Turinsky" <turinsky@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thermostats
Comments: To: jim@oldvolkshome.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi Jim:

Thanks for the education on thermosats. Now, is the 80c thermostat you're talking about available in a Syncro-type model? Or, should I ask...will it work on a Syncro? My temp gauge needle rides just at the top of the LED diode. I've read on the list that maybe it should be indicating LOWER on the temperature gauge.

Thanks again!

Kevin...turinsky@juno.com "Anchored, down in Anchorage---Alaska" 61:10:42 North 149:11:11 West Elevation: 101 feet

On Fri, 03 Apr 1998 14:48:59 Old Volks Home <jim@oldvolkshome.com> writes: >At 11:19 AM 4/3/98 -0900, you wrote: >>Jim: >> >>What would be the advantage of using a thermostat with a lower temp. >>rating (I don't know too much about this kind of stuff)? Is the >advantage >>that coolant gets circulated at a lower temp. than other wise? Is >this be >>something I should consider for my Syncro to insure it runs cool? >(Some >>one told me that if I wanted more heat from the heater in my >Mitsubishi >>Montero (for those cold, winter mornings) I should install a higher >temp. >>thermostat. I haven't done it yet. Maybe it's not a good idea. >> >>Thanks! >> >>Kevin...turinsky@juno.com >>"Anchored, down in Anchorage---Alaska" >>61:10:42 North >>149:11:11 West >>Elevation: 101 feet >************************************ > >Hi Kevin - > >I run a 80c thermostat on my Westy because of a number factors - > >1. I follow John Muir's Air Cooled advice by letting my vehicle warm >up >(about 2 to 3 minutes) before taking off and putting stress on such a >wink >link as the head gaskets in these buggers. A lot of so-called >automotive >know-it-alls you read in the weekly automotive section of the local >newspaper tout the fact you should be able start up and drive away >RIGHT >NOW. And on the other hand, you have the bureaucratic know-nothings >that >harp on people who start their cars up in the morning and let them >idle for >a few minutes, causing death to us all. I can understand and agree >that >letting your car idle for more than 4 minutes (depending on ambient >temperature) is a waste. But to drive off immediately after starting >your >engine, regardless if it's water cooled or air cooled is just >consigning >your engine to a short life - a shorter life than what you can get out >of >it. The purpose of the higher rated OE thermostat is to compensate >for >those people that start and drive right away - it's supposed to bring >the >operating temp up and open at a hotter temp a little quicker. This is >great for places like Alaska, where you live for instance and other >northern parts of the US and of course Canada. > >2. I travel approximately 44k miles a year fully loaded down with >display >cases, parts, canopy, etc., so I'm pretty loaded down for the road, a >lot >more than most Westy vacationers. In addition, I travel throughout >California, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon and Washington where the ambient >temperature during the better part of the year is in the 90s or higher >and >there's ALOT of mountains and hills to cross. I've found the engine >delivers overall better power under these conditions with a 80c verses >a >87c thermostat. It's not much, but it's noticeable and I know that >the >engine is running cooler overall on the highway. And because mine is >an >automatic trans, I know the trans cooler is getting slightly cooler >coolant >to save that puppy too. Even though the winters here can get >downright >cold in the Northern Sacramento Valley, both my Rear (when used) and >Front >Heater Cores put out more than adequate heating capability, I usually >have >to run the front core lever on the dash about half way - even in the >teens >around here and be very comfortable. > >3. I have owned other watercooled vehicles - Rabbit PU Diesel, >Chevies, >Toyotas, etc., while growing up and living in both Southern and >Northern >California, both of which can be very hot in the summer and I have >always >run slightly cooler rated thermostats. It's not unusual in the >Sacramento >Valley to have 6 weeks or better of triple digit temps every day. I >find >that running a slightly cooler thermostat keeps the engine from >becoming >too hot, thus losing power. > >On the other hand, running no thermostat, especially on a Fuel >Injected >engine which depends on a sensor to deliver an appropriate signal to >the >ECU, is of course not recommended. The engine never gets to even >close to >operating temp, thus the FI runs rich all the time, fouling plugs and >of >course poor mileage. I keep a sharp eye on the tailpipe and am happy >to >report that it's so clean I can eat off the inside of it. > >All Vanagon Wassers come with a 87c thermostat from the factory. I >would >think it would be perfect for those Alaska cold mornings and days. >But if >you were living or traveling extensively in the southern half of the >lower >48, I would highly recommend the 80c thermostat. > > >Jim Thompson >84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle * 90 Fox Wagon >Check out our latest cool stuff at: >http://www.oldvolkshome.com >------------------------------------------- >Check out the Odd, Weird, One of a Kind >Items For Sale On the "OddBall Page" >http://www.oldvolkshome.com/oddball.html >------------------------------------------- >Our Website is totally redesigned for ease of >your use. Now in "Frames" or "No Frames" >format: >Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/frames.html >No Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/homenf.html >------------------------------------------- >Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home >PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 >(530) 221-5342 (Voice or Fax) >jim@oldvolkshome.com >jim96003@c-zone.net >

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]