Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:56:30 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust pipe--Where to Get Mounting Brackets
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes57@email.msn.com>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Thank you Dennis for responding to my question about this.

I feel like I should actually pose all my questions to you individually instead of to the list, but somehow I feel this almost takes unfair advantage of you, so I often post to the list as a whole, hoping that if you know the answer and are not too busy you will see and respond.

Believe it or not, the flange is on the exhaust pipe I took off my '87 van after it crashed and I had a lot of trouble getting that pipe off because the flange seemed to be preventing me so I sawed it off !! with a sawzall always thinking I could reinstall it later.

Now I am at the point of thinking I should replace my rusty, crushed front pipe with the nice-looking '87 pipe that is not crushed, and I am thinking that I should replace that flange or somehow rebuild it before installing the pipe.

I saw another list member said he fabricated a proper replacement flange out of angle iron, so I am wondering if I should design something along these lines.

At 09:12 PM 4/1/98 -0500, you wrote: >Hello Derek, >That bracket is not available separately. Probably because it has to be >installed on the pipes before the flanges are welded on. hat particular >bracket does not provide too much support where the flanges normally break. >I wouldn't sweat it until the pipe fails. > >Dennis > > >-----Original Message----- >From: Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET> >To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> >Date: Monday, March 30, 1998 2:16 PM >Subject: Re: Exhaust pipe--Where to Get Mounting Brackets > > >>I need to get a replacment mounting bracket for my front exhaust pipe--in >>this case my bracket is the one that is bolted to the engine/trans. >> >>I looked in the fiche, but this bracket is not separately listed and I >>don't want to buy a new pipe just to get the bracket. >> >>I need a very strong bracket similar to the factory bracket as I tend to >>bash my pipes pretty hard. >> >>At 08:32 AM 3/30/98 -0800, you wrote: >>>A few thoughts on broken exhaust pipes. I have had exhaust pipes crack on >>>me twice. Both times at least one of the mounting brackets was broken >>>(first time the muffler bracket, second one of those tubular supports). >>>Both times I removed the broken/cracked pipes and had them welded. It >cost >>>$20 each time. Another $20 for new gaskets and bolts and everything was >>>perfect. Neither of the welds that I have done has broken again. So if >>>your pipes are in good condition, other than the crack/break I would >remove >>>them and have them welded. >>> >>>John Brown >>> >>_____________________________________________________ >>Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington DC >>ConsumerSearch >>drew@interport.net >>212-580-6486 (W) >>212-580-4459 (H) >> > _____________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington DC ConsumerSearch drew@interport.net 212-580-6486 (W) 212-580-4459 (H)