Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Apr 1998 13:51:58 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <jim@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thermostats
Comments: To: "Kevin J. Turinsky" <turinsky@JUNO.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 06:44 AM 4/6/98 -0800, Kevin J. Turinsky wrote: >Hi Jim: > >Thanks for the education on thermosats. Now, is the 80c thermostat you're >talking about available in a Syncro-type model? Or, should I ask...will >it work on a Syncro? My temp gauge needle rides just at the top of the >LED diode. I've read on the list that maybe it should be indicating LOWER >on the temperature gauge. > >Thanks again! > >Kevin...turinsky@juno.com >"Anchored, down in Anchorage---Alaska" >61:10:42 North >149:11:11 West >Elevation: 101 feet > ************************************** OK, maybe something got lost in the translation of my last post.

Thermostat Housings are different on 2WD (Plastic) verses Syncros (Aluminum).

Thermostats are the SAME (025-121-113F), regardless if they are 2WD or Syncros.

My point is that you should use the original German-made Thermostat (80c or 87c depending on your location, time of year, travel, etc.) and avoid the Aftermarket Robert Shaw or Stant Thermostats, because of the inconsistency of the "disc" size on these.

With running the 80c in my Westy, the needle is usually just to the left of the LED. Moreso when the heater is running (yep it do get cold in Northern Calif this time of year). In the summertime last year in ambient temperatures of 100F or above, the needle was usually on top of the LED. And of course when heading over "Grapevine" pass going into LA or over Siskiyou pass on the Oregon Border, the needle would go just the the right of the LED (If I ran the heater, the needle would usually stay on top of the LED in those situations).

As an added note - I usually run the Westy packed down with parts, display cases, tables, etc., as some list members who met with me at Kelley Park this weekend will attest - it's definitely a full load. In fact, I took home more than I brought on this trip, thanks to purchasing a lot of exhaust and heater parts (loaf) from a List Member.

This year I will be running a 6 foot by 40 inch enclosed utility trailer behind it (weighs 125 pounds unloaded) with about a 400-500 pound load. This is so I can take better advantage of living and sleeping conditions of the Westy while on the road (no I am not going to be carrying more - don't need to overtax it anymore than it has been).

Jim Thompson 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle * 90 Fox Wagon Check out our latest cool stuff at: http://www.oldvolkshome.com ------------------------------------------- Check out the Odd, Weird, One of a Kind Items For Sale On the "OddBall Page" http://www.oldvolkshome.com/oddball.html ------------------------------------------- Our Website is totally redesigned for ease of your use. Now in "Frames" or "No Frames" format: Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/frames.html No Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/homenf.html ------------------------------------------- Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 (530) 221-5342 (Voice or Fax) jim@oldvolkshome.com jim96003@c-zone.net