Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Apr 1998 23:19:32 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes57@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: This is why I drive a Vanagon
Comments: To: EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Assuming that things happened as you say, the Volvo did what it was designed to do. That is, the crumple zones crumpled and absorbed the energy stored in your moving Vanagon. Many people that die in car accidents do not die from actually being crushed or cut. They die from the impact with things that are no longer moving such as dashboards, windshields, and steering wheels, or they die from their internal organs getting displaced while their bodies stop suddenly. If the Volvo did not collapse, then those occupants probably would have had whiplash, and your legs would have been crushed. I saw a Vanagon the hit a telephone pole supposedly at 30 or 40 mph once. The right front seat was bent from the dashboard hitting it. If the seat was occupied, the person would have been leg less. Most modern cars are design to to be sacrificial now. This is probably the reason we no longer have the Vanagon. There just wasn't enough room or mass up front for the crumple zones.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, April 06, 1998 12:39 AM Subject: This is why I drive a Vanagon