Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Apr 1998 22:04:53 -0600
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon archives size (CD Format ideas)
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, David Marshall wrote: > 91MB is easily fitable on a CD-ROM (CD = 650MB) and with my 2X write CD-R > it would take about 4 mintues. My suggestion is to put the data in a > searchable HTML formated database. Searchable for the obvious reasons and > HTML so people with PCs, MACs or UNIX etc. can all use it.

And it's likely that we could find a searchable cd-rom html-based database for free. I wouldn't be surprised if there were cd-embedded versions of say Glimpse out there.

> Personally I cannot imagine more than 50 or so CDs that wanted to be > produced so getting them commercially duped would be too expensive. The > cost for a CDR is bulk is about C$2 a CD.

I was amazed the other day to receive a catalog (Cyberguys) that listed CD-R's for $99 for 100. No cases. With cases it's about $114 for 100.

> I am willing to donate my time and buy the CDs but someone will have to pay > me for the media which I think is only fair!

Likewise. Since I'm planning on buying 100 blank CD-R's this week (although I hadn't intended to get jewel cases) I'd be happy to take care of that part of the acquisition...

----------------------------------------------------------------- Gary Shea shea@xmission.com Salt Lake City http://www.xmission.com/~shea