Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:49:11 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <list@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Haynes Manual Group Buy - ORDERING INFO
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

The Haynes Manual list buy is now a reality. To recap, these are the brand new British Haynes service manuals that cover the watercooled Vanagons. They are the first manuals to cover the wasserboxer other than the $70 Bentley manual. Reports from list members who have seen them have been very favorable. Personally, I highly recommend owning both the Haynes and Bentley manuals because of their different points of view. (The Bentleys are typically more complete whereas the Haynes are more "user friendly.") As complicated as our Vanagons are, sometimes a "second opinion" resource can be a godsend.

As you know, both I and Kelly Bauman worked on this deal. While I ended up getting a slightly better deal, Kelly's efforts were instrumental in making this happen. I will be orchestrating the U.S. side of the list buy, while Kelly will handle things for our Canadian contingent. The manuals will be here in about 7-10 days.

The delivered price of the manuals will be $20.00 each, INCLUDING postage (within the U.S. and its territories). I'm very satisfied with this price, which, including all import and shipping costs, is actually below the price charged in the U.K.. Part of the reason is that I am importing a much larger quantity of manuals than the list alone can support, and am also passing them on to the list at wholesale for the purposes of this list deal.

Please read the following ordering instructions carefully.

Because of the quantity that I am ordering, there is NO NEED to e-mail me simply to "reserve" a copy; there will be plenty to go around. If you are a current Vanagon List member, and get your order to me by the end of the month (Thursday April 30), you will be guaranteed the list deal price. However, as of May 1, my ongoing listmembers price will be $24.95 plus postage (which is roughly the UK cover price, and is still very reasonable, I think). This gives you roughly three weeks to get in on the list deal, which should be plenty of time.

If you have ordered from The Bus Depot before, and already have an account set up with me (for Check-By-Phone/Email), just e-mail me to order a copy (or add it to your order, if you're already ordering other stuff). I'll send you back a confirmation, and will simply debit your account for the $20 when the manuals ship. Unless told otherwise, I'll debit the same checking account, and ship to the same address, that you used on your last order with me.

If you do not already have an account set up with The Bus Depot, you can set one up by providing me with all of the numbers across the bottom of your check (indicating any spaces), and the name of your bank. Your checking account will then be debited when your order ships, and you will have an account with me for your future parts needs. (This is the way most of my customers pay. It's like using a credit card, except that the amount debits right out of your checking account; it's an easier/safer way to order over the internet.) If you'd prefer to call this info in, my number is (215) 234-VWVW.

Finally, you can simply mail me a check for $20.00, along with a 3x5" index card (or similarly sized piece of paper) with your name and address written in the center of it. I will stamp my return address on the corner of that card or paper, tape it to the envelope, and use it as your shipping label. Send the check and index card to VW Book c/o The Bus Depot, 4801 Gravel Pike, Perkiomenville, PA 18074.

If you need a book shipped to Canada, Kelly Bauman (bauman@ican.net) will be your contact. If you haven't already sent him your name, you should now. If you already have, I'm sure he'll be in touch. He'll let you know a total price in Canadian dollars, including postage, and will collect your money. Then he'll forward a combined order to me, and I'll send him the manuals (which he'll then mail to you from within Canada). This will be a little cheaper than sending them to Canada individually. If you need a manual shipped somewhere other than the U.S. or Canada, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Sorry for posting such a long e-mail to the List, but after several List Deals, I've learned the hard way that it's much easier to post all the details publicly once, than to repeat them to 50 people one at a time. :-)

-Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW