Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:41:40 -0700
From:         "CARVER, JEFFREY D" <Jeffrey.Carver@AEROJET.COM>
Subject:      Scale Model Busses
Comments: To: Type2 <type2@bigkitty.azaccess.com>, Vanagon <VANAGON@VANAGON.COM>

I am in the middle of assembling and over-detailing a scale model of a 1980 Westfalia. I found the Revell/Monogram kit at a local retailer. The accuracy of the model is amazing and here are some of the details that are accurate or not:

Its a 1980 California model based on the engine heat exchangers and catalytic converter arrangement. The model includes a decal to simulate a radiator in front, I guess for a diesel version, but the engine is a gas type. The engine is otherwise very detailed. Heat exchangers, heater channels, suspension stuff, interior camper cabinets, wall panels, etc.

The rear bench is correct for an '80, as it includes a large door on the front of the panel. The 1981 bus changed in that a heat vent came through the front panel, and the door was eliminated. The '80 version is much more useable IMHO.

The camper interior is the 'deluxe' version that would have been found on an 'L' version bus, but the badge on the back of the bus is a non-L 'Vanagon'.

The emergency brake is centrally located rather than against the drivers side. The front table is missing. It does NOT include a decal for the 'Wesfalia' label on the pop-top (thus the plea recently). I'm a bit surprised that the outside camper electrical/water doors are missing completely, I'll make something to simulate those, probably to facilitate a non-camper model.

The model can be assembled with the top up or down.

The model is fun to assemble and paint, and with the detail I intend to do, it'll be very nice.

I found another of these kits yesterday at another shop, if anyone is interested in getting it, I can drop by on the weekend to procure it for you. It ran about $15. It's a 1/24th scale model.

Anyone out there still reading have a light blue Westi, I'd like to know the interior colors, rugs, fabric, curtains, dash panel, etc, so I can make the model more accurate. The Ivory of my own bus is rather boring, so I thought I'd dress it up a little and do a blue one!

While cruising around looking for the next model to build (sounds a lot like owning a real VW bus) I found a 'California Roller' model from Revell. Its a '63/'64 Custom '70's bus, much like the real '66 in my back yard. Cut rear wheel wells, oversize rear tires, air scoops, fender flares, Cragar wheels, Goodyear tires, nerf bars front and rear, twin CB antennas, based on a panel van. This model is molded in color, a lime green, so little painting is needed, just the interior blue and chrome silver. I haven't opened it, but it appears that the black components (nerf, CB, mirrors) are molded in black. The kit was copyrighted in 1979. It has a CB logo in place of a VW symbol at the front of the bus. I haven't decided what to do with this 1/25 scale model yet. I'd much rather put together a model of a stock bus than this customized one, Deluxe preferred of course. I'm already thinking on how to bring this model back to stock!

The real bus I have is a Kombi, no CB's, no nerfs, but otherwise VERY similar to this 'custom' California Roller. Still think it would be cool to

clean this bus up and enter it in competition, just to show how 'custom' conversions become dated and look weird some years later.

- Jeff Iwanna21/23windowsunroofDeluxewalkthru! to be used for daily driving '80 Westi (2) BOTH FOR SALE Sale pending on the non-driver, needs transport to Utah '66 Bus, Kombi FOR SALE see them at: http://ebus.simplenet.com/Volkswagen/classifieds/classifieds.htm '22 Piano, upright Kohler & Cambell FOR SALE '67 Sqbk '64 Ford Crewcab '87 Subaru 4WD '97 Nissan Quest Grass Valley, California, USA Jeffrey.Carver@Aerojet.com