Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:25:36 -0700
From:         coyote <coyote@LIKEMINDS.COM>
Subject:      Re: CD
Comments: To: "John H. Rodgers" <inua@QUICKLINK.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

>All the talk of the archive CD is turning up some good ideas, but I think >getting the list owners and others who own the copyrighted materials on >board is the first order of business. Without that "Nada!". Leaves the >entire project open to legal action, whether it is all volunteer, not for >profit, un-intentional trespass or whatever.

It's a pretty sticky issue. I've been getting some nasty mail from two folks from the 'type2' list about trampling peoples' rights. (You've all seen Ken Hooper's recent rather nasty email, and I thought he was a friend.) Of course that isn't my intention... rather, I want to buy one of these CDs, and I want to make it possible.

Starting with yesterday's posts, we're solid. Folks have been notified of the following:

The vanagon mailing list archives are copyright (c) 1994-1998, the vanagon mailing list administrators holding the copyright to the collection, and authors holding copyrights to their individual messages. Posting messages to this mailing list grants permission to the mailing list administrators to reproduce the message in a compilation, either printed or electronic. Reprinting messages from this archive without the express permission of the author is forbidden.

I *think* that this is enough. The problem lies with past recipients. Unless we get explicit permission from them to post their messages in the vanagon list archives (http://gerry.vanagon.com), we're open to lawsuits. I've been told by at least one person that my company, who is allowing their T1 to be used for the list, could also be sued.

As a volunteer, this is frankly upsetting, and I'm wondering if I really want to be involved with this list. It's not worth the stress, and believe me, I'm under a lot of stress these days.

Are there any (good) lawyers on the list who wish to tell us how I can keep bad folks from destroying my (rather small) company, and our (rather large) list community?

Coyote